Shrimp and cheesy grits recipe needed

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I plan on grilling some shrimp today and have always wanted to try shrimp and grits. Basically I'm more interested in what cheeses you would use. I already have the stone ground grits but have to run to the store for shrimp and cheese. Thanks

This is Bobby Flay’s recipe for Shrimp & Grits. I hope this helps. If you want cheesier grits then I'd add either more cheddar and/or some mozzarella.

Ingredients

4 cups water
Salt and pepper
1 cup stone-ground grits
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 slices bacon, chopped
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 large clove garlic, minced

Directions

Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.

Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.

Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

Grits a YaYa

Here's a recipe from a chef in Pensacola, these are really good! I make them with Grilled Shrimp all the time.

Grits A YAYA

INGREDIENTS
Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits:
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 pound Dixie Lily grits
1/4 pound butter
1 pound shredded smoked Gouda cheese
The Ya Ya:
8 strips applewood-smoked bacon, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallots
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound peeled and de-veined jumbo shrimp
1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
1/4 cup diced scallions
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups smoked Gouda cheese grits
White Wine
Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
DIRECTIONS
First, make your grits. Run the chicken stock into a thick-bottomed saucepan and turn on high till it boils. Mix in the grits and stir like crazy. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream if you need more liquid. Then tumble in the butter, drizzle in the rest of the cream and stir till it's all in the family. Then shake in the shredded cheese and stir very well till it's all nice and smooth.
While your grits cook, bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add bacon and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and shallots. Sauté and then add butter and a splash of white wine. When the butter is half melted, add the shrimp. When the downsides of the shrimp become white, flip them and add mushrooms, scallions and spinach. Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp. Pour in heavy cream and let simmer while stirring. When reduced by one third, add salt, pepper and hot sauce. Return shrimp to the sauce and combine. Spoon the sauce and shrimp onto heaping mounds of cheese grits.

Here's a recipe from a chef in Pensacola, these are really good! I make them with Grilled Shrimp all the time.

Grits A YAYA

INGREDIENTS
Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits:
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 pound Dixie Lily grits
1/4 pound butter
1 pound shredded smoked Gouda cheese
The Ya Ya:
8 strips applewood-smoked bacon, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallots
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound peeled and de-veined jumbo shrimp
1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
1/4 cup diced scallions
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups smoked Gouda cheese grits
White Wine
Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
DIRECTIONS
First, make your grits. Run the chicken stock into a thick-bottomed saucepan and turn on high till it boils. Mix in the grits and stir like crazy. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream if you need more liquid. Then tumble in the butter, drizzle in the rest of the cream and stir till it's all in the family. Then shake in the shredded cheese and stir very well till it's all nice and smooth.
While your grits cook, bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add bacon and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and shallots. Sauté and then add butter and a splash of white wine. When the butter is half melted, add the shrimp. When the downsides of the shrimp become white, flip them and add mushrooms, scallions and spinach. Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp. Pour in heavy cream and let simmer while stirring. When reduced by one third, add salt, pepper and hot sauce. Return shrimp to the sauce and combine. Spoon the sauce and shrimp onto heaping mounds of cheese grits.

This sounds Great :thumb:

Optional, use the cheese grits recipe above (pretty much standard). Aside, fry the
bacon and then remove from grease. With grease no hotter than medium, add flour
and stir until it's a light brown roux (about peanut butter color). Add in some cajun
seasoning, chopped onion, bell pepper, celery if you prefer, a little chopped garlic,
and the chopped bacon. Saute until union is clear. Add back in a little of the
unused chicken broth (not much, just thin a little). Add peeled and deveined shrimp
and stir for about 3 or 4 minutes on medium low. Same as above, spoon sauce
and shrimp onto mounds of grits.

Another smoked Gouda fan. I've never had good luck with sharp cheddar, it tends to break.

I call smoked cheddar on the grits and go with a little tasso and red eye gravy as a support group for the shrimp. all sounds good

I use asadero or jack cheese for cheesy grits. I like the way they melt and with the jack, I can even get flavored cheese.

I'm not sure where I got this recipe but it is dang tasty!

Grits:
1 cup quick grits
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup grated extra-sharp white cheddar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
Salt and pepper
Shrimp Mixture, recipe follows[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Cook grits according to package instructions. As grits are finishing, whisk in butter, cheddar, Parmesan, and paprika. After ingredients are incorporated, season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Shrimp Mixture:
2 cups chopped smoked bacon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds shrimp (26 to 30 count)
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 cups sliced white mushrooms
3 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon hot sauce ( or more! I like 2 tbsp.)
2 cups sliced scallions
Cook bacon until it begins to brown. Remove from heat and strain. Reserve bacon grease and bacon bits. Heat large skillet until very hot, add olive oil and 2 tablespoons bacon fat. As oils begin to smoke, toss in shrimp to cover the bottom of pan. Before stirring, season with salt and pepper. Stir until shrimp being to turn pink all over. Stir in minced garlic and bacon bits, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add mushrooms and toss to coat with oil. Add wine, lemon juice, hot sauce and stir until well coated and incorporated (about 80 seconds). Toss in sliced scallions and stir for about 20 seconds (do not overcook). Serve with cheese grits.

Back