Lamb Chops and Need Some Cooking Tips

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I do not ever think I have had Lamb let alone cook it. They had a couple packages on reduced sale at the store so I went for it.

They are pretty small, I guess Lambs are not very big. :wink: normally they are very expensive at least at this store.

Anyway, what simple way should I cook these, Time, Fire Temp and cook to Temp please.

Thanks!!!

Picture019.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Not sure on the fire temp, etc. but go rare to medium rare at the most. Lamb that is overcooked is NASTY! but if cooked and served at the above mentioned, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I would google middle eastern grilled lamb and see what you come up with. It's well known that the middle east as well as Greece excel at grilling lamb, especially the Lebanese.

you, my freind, have yourself a real treat.

season as you might some pork.

fire up the grill as you might for steak. real hot. add a bit of wood.

cook 'em like you would a steak, @ 2 minutes per side.

sauce with a savory and slighlty sweet liquid. for instance, i've used slabs amazing glaze.

enjoy.

Temp of grill=HOT
Time 2.2 mins /side+fatstrap.
Internal temp=don't worry about it, there isn't time.
Method.
Crush a garlic clove in a mortar, put in some rosemary (fresh) and pound, add EVOO and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Pour into flat container and lay lamb,turning till coated.
Using tongs, lay the lamb fat down on the grill and drag to create an oiled surface and at the same time get that fat golden.
Lay the chop and start the 2 minute count.
Repeat.
Season with salt and pepper.
You'll be back at the shop very soon, for more.

We cook quite a bit of lamb here, we love it. Rosemary and lamb is one of those classic combinations, and throw in some garlic also. Another great way that I love it is with Moroccan flavours, mmmmmmm, thats going to be some good eatin'.

And yes, cook it like a small steak.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1867192 said:
Thanks!

Sounds like a plan with the marinade? Does the Lamb need it or is it just your preference? Also, it looks like you cooked them Indirect?

You don't HAVE to marinate the lamb, but somehow the combination of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary just works. It's more or less probably one of the most widely used marinades for lamb, although some may substitute oregano or thyme for rosemary with equal success. I find that marinating them, then rubbing them down before I cook them seems to be better than either marinade or rub separately, but that's my personal taste. If you try it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. You can marinate the chops in as little time as a few hours with very good results.

I cook just about everything indirect, at least for the first 3/4 part of the cook. Just turns out juicier that way, plus more evenly cooked.

Hope you'll post some pics of your cook! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Terry ALL you will EVER need for lamb chops is:
kosher salt,
EVOO
Red pepper flakes
Garlic
& Rosemary...

THATS IT!
Put all ingredients in a mortar and pestle and bash together and coat the lamb and sear it up to med rare!

That'll be the BEST lamb you can get. For some reason those flavors just go with lamb perfectly! Take a look here...

You're in for a treat btw! :thumb: Let us know how it turns out... :becky:
Cheers

Oh yeah.... one more thing.

Celery Salt. Thats my recommendation for lamb virgins. All the other advice here is spot on! Quite a few variations and preferences that shows lamb is a versatile meat.

If you try it one way and you don't like it, don't give up. Its not the lamb, its perseverance and technique and your own taste buds.

Just don't give up. Those loin chops are a bargain. I would have cleaned out the entire fridge of them at that price!

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks everyone! I am really looking forward to trying these. I do have another question. The reduced price I thought was a fluke as they will do that at this store sometimes. The Sell by date on the tag says 12/12/2011 (why I thought they made a mistake).

But after looking more closely the printing on the wrapping itself says Use or Freeze by 12-02-2011.

Is lamb like Beef that a few extra days is better or more like Chicken or Pork where it needs to be as fresh as possible.

I cannot do these until Sunday 12/04/2011 Are these going to be okay in the Fridge for a couple days past the Use by date?

Thanks!!

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1867511 said:
But after looking more closely the printing on the wrapping itself says Use or Freeze by 12-02-2011.

I cannot do these until Sunday 12/04/2011 Are these going to be okay in the Fridge for a couple days past the Use by date?

Thanks!!

No, they should be shipped to me for proper disposal.

They will be fine. :thumb:

Back