What to use

Az porky

Reaction score
I will be smoking two14# apple brined turkeys on my MES 40 for thanksgiving. When I Checked I only have cherry or hickory pellets,but I have apple and pecan wood chips. Which should I use for best flavor?

Thanks
Az porky

Unless you have a smoke snake in the bottom of that MES, use the chips. So far as which wood for poultry? I would vote in this order:

Apple: mild, fruity smoke flavor
Pecan: mild, smoke..much less harsh than hickory
Cherry: mild, fruity smoke but will turn skin and exposed meat a dark color, which can be very off putting to many non-purists
Hickory: strong smoke....but easy to overdue on poultry.

Also consider a mix of apple and pecan.

I’ve used hickory and pecan splits (and both) to smoke turkeys on my horizontal offset and loved the result. So IMHO you can use any of them.

I'm using an electric smoker and I use 2 cups apple chips and 1/2 cup cherry for deeper color.

I love pecan, so I would go with that. Kmm's suggestion of mixing apple with the pecan is a good one, especially if you want to tone the smoke down a bit...which depends on you and your guest's tastes.

I'd go pecan and cherry.

Like frognot, I'd go pecan and cherry. Great smoking combo that I also use on brisket. Poultry, more cherry. Beef, more pecan.

Back