BBQ Brethren "Cheesesteak - The Philly Way" Throwdown!

Not saying that I'm not envious of the sammies you farkers are getting...:Cry:

Those sammies are lookin' good so I'm gonna throwdown on this one, I'll show you what I've got tomorrow.

No worries Buccs... Thanks for clarifying! :becky:

To be honest, I'm having fun lately calling food tucker now that I know what it means down under. The looks I get are farkin' priceless! :heh:

add the meat.JPGThis is my official entry into the "Philly Cheesesteak Throwdown"

I got a nice "eye of round" and had to get out my slicer. I put the meat into the freezer for awhile and sliced it paper thin.
eye of round and slicer.JPG
slicing it thin.JPG

I like my cheesesteak with onions, mushrooms, red and yellow peppers and poblanos for a little spice.
peppers, onions and mushrooms.JPG

I fired up my trusty Bandera and prepped the griddle. A little EVOO and on with the onions.
on with the onions.JPG

Then the peppers

vegies are getting close.JPG

then I put on the sliced mushrooms and the steak, I had previously seperated and oiled the steak so that it wouldn't clump together.
add the meat.JPG

Once they were cooked down I made room for the wonderful roll which I got from the "French Riviera Bakery" in Albuquerque. They make absolutely fabulous bread and rolls.
here's the roll.JPG

I formed the steak into a sandwich shape and put on the provolone.
meat with provolone.JPG

Then came the toasted roll

Assemble onto the plate
Cheesesteak!.JPG

and here's the money shot
Fabulous!.JPG

Thanks for looking. It was wonderful!

Attachments

• here come the peppers.JPG
    here come the peppers.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Well I got some of the pictures in the wrong order, I cant seem to make the edit feature work. Oh well.

No worries Buccs... Thanks for clarifying! :becky:

To be honest, I'm having fun lately calling food tucker now that I know what it means down under. The looks I get are farkin' priceless! :heh:
To be authentic Aussie, you pronounce it without the "R" at the end...so it's like
"Tuck" + "ah":thumb:
and we also say "grub" as in great grub...or want to eat some grub?

We don't even associate it with it's origins, it is so commonplace

Cheesesteak.... The Billy Way!

G'Day Bruces' :becky:

When I originally thought about this TD, I had no intension of entering. I thought this would be a TD where I could watch and learn.

It appeared though, some folks wondered how I could choose this as a theme, because you can't smoke anything here if it's Philly Cheesesteak! :confused:

Well, of course you can :thumb:

Just call it a BILLY CHEESESTEAK!:bow::bow:

OK, so I went out and bought some Rib Eye... Umm, bone out. What we call in Australia "Scotch Fillet"
IMBD2011-09152012_405.jpg

I was a bit short of cash, so the 1/2 Scotch means that I only got 1/2 the whole one, but this was enough to do the job..:wink:

Here it is end on... sorry about the focus... I got hit by a Guerry moment:tape:... bit it's Rib Eye...

IMBD2011-09152012_406.jpg

Rubbed in Montreal Seasoning
IMBD2011-09152012_407.jpg

And placed indirect on the Performer with Lump and Apricot wood at 300F
IMBD2011-09162012_408.jpg

Some nice shots...

IMBD2011-09162012_409.jpg

IMBD2011-09162012_410.jpg

IMBD2011-09162012_411.jpg

Until it was very rare and ready...:cool:
IMBD2011-09162012_412.jpg

Off it came to foil and cool and then into the fridge to slide later on..

Yes, I know... not the Philly way.. but how else are you gonna get flavour and smoke into a Ribeye...:thumb:

I'm right brothers, am I not!:pray:

Oh, I also made some bread for the Cheesesteak Rolls..
IMBD2011-09162012_413.jpg

IMBD2011-09162012_414.jpg

IMBD2011-09162012_415.jpg

IMBD2011-09162012_416.jpg

I only posted all that because I heard it was all about the bread!:thumb:

So... I got the essential ingredients together..
IMBD2011-09182012_417.jpg

Sliced the beautiful chilled rare beef... (Man this was farking GOOOOD!) real thin on my old beat up slicer!
IMBD2011-09182012_418.jpg

WAFER thin...
IMBD2011-09182012_420.jpg

Now that's how you smoke some beef and get it on a Roll.... the Billy Way!:pray:
IMBD2011-09182012_421.jpg

And I chopped up the rest of the ingredients..
IMBD2011-09182012_423.jpg

Did you notice the Provolone???? Yeah. I did some research and found that the Cheesesteak is way older than the Cheese Whiz... so I stuck with the real thing that I got from an Italian Deli here in Melbourne. It's proper Arruccio Provolone and was so smooth and even in texture... lovely...

OK... got my Mise together..
IMBD2011-09182012_424.jpg

On with the Veges..
IMBD2011-09182012_425.jpg

Then on with the Rib eye (vege's went to holding in the other BBQ...)
IMBD2011-09182012_427.jpg

A quick toss.. not drying out the juices...
IMBD2011-09182012_428.jpg

Line it up...
IMBD2011-09182012_429.jpg

And on with the cheese
IMBD2011-09182012_430.jpg

Melted in no time at all...
IMBD2011-09182012_431.jpg

Took that off and toasted the rolls..
IMBD2011-09182012_434.jpg

I then had to get that cheese and steak off the griddle.. I'm not used to placing such a long length on a roll... (other sorts of lengths are not such a problem..:cool:)
IMBD2011-09182012_435.jpg

So I got it on the roll... CD, now here I'm looking for your comment:wink:

What have I done with the roll???

Yes.. I farking burnt it... :doh:

But please forgive me, because I'm a Farkin' Aussie!:wink:

It was only a little bit burned... just crisped around the edges... a bit!

Here it is...with the Cheese and Steak..
IMBD2011-09182012_436.jpg

But then I added the Onion, Peppers and Mushrooms..
IMBD2011-09182012_437.jpg

And it was looking not toooo bad at all! (TD PIC Below Chris... if I survive the insults from smoking the steak for a Philly Cheesesteak!:loco:)
IMBD2011-09182012_441.jpg

Looking at the final cut, I needed more Provolone, although that looked like enough when I put it in the plate

I made one half each from my 2 big boys... They asked if there was anything else after this, but when they ate it all they were done:thumb:
IMBD2011-09182012_442.jpg

The Last BITE SHOT from son #2...

IMBD2011-09182012_444.jpg

I'm sure you guys can smoke a Philly Cheesesteak Now.:thumb:

These were really good! Much more flavour in doing the smoke!

Thanks for watching!

Cheers!

Bill

Great sammie Bill!! We make often smoke eye of round, thinly slice it on our meat slicer and make a sandwich that looks similar. Good eating, for sure!!

Trying to get Katie fired up about entering this throwdown. You've just inspired me!!

So I got it on the roll... CD, now here I'm looking for your comment:wink:

What have I done with the roll???

Yes.. I farking burnt it... :doh:

The last time you burned a throwdown entry, it won the farking throwdown.

CD :becky:

Reading through this thread, unless I missed it, nobody every asked why we are cooking a cheesesteak like a horse or how the fark a horse cooks a cheesesteak anyway. Maybe you cook a cheesesteak with horse steaks?

Yes, I do realize that it is spelled differently and not filly :thumb:

This Is An Official Overland Fark Inspired Entry, Philly Style

It all started a couple weeks ago when I was sitting at Citizens Bank Park catching a Phills game. So I'm sitting there eating my Schmitter and John Mayberry Jr. comes up to the plate. I look up at the scoreboard and lo and behold, he's from...where else, but Overland Fark, KS. Now this say's Overland Park but I'm sure they just misspelled Fark. :wink:

Mayberry.png

Now on with the rest of my inspiration. There's a local pub called McNally's that invented a sandwich called the Schmitter which is also sold in the Eagles and Phillies stadiums. Now it's a great sandwich, although it's getting kind of expensive, $9 these days, it was $6.50 when the park opened and my last one was looking kind of sad. :tsk:

IMAG0251.jpg

Most would think it's named after Phillies Hall of Fame third baseman, Mike Schmidt, but that's not the case, it's actually named after a beer. The famed Schmidt's beer. :tsk: In any event, I decided to make my version at home for you guys and gals, along with a couple other REAL Philly versions of a cheesesteak.

My original plan was to cook these on my OTS on my cast iron griddle, unfortunately the griddle was too big for the OTS, but luckily I have an XL egg sitting right beside it. :grin: I fired up some Humprey's lump charcoal and had at it.

IMG_3503.jpg

Here are the ingredients, you can disregard the chicken steaks in the back, I ran out of time before the Eagles game, and those will have to wait for next time. For the Schmitter I bought a nice looking Ribeye and murdered it on my meat slicer into semi-thin slices. The other pile of meat is hand sliced choice beef from the butcher in the local farmers market. Yep, that is Cheez Whiz in the back, we'll get to that later. :becky:

IMG_3496.jpg

Here's the murdered Ribeye.

Fark! The picture is supposed to be right here but for some reason it's not showing up, you can see the murdered Ribeye 2 pics down. Maybe it'll show up eventually, I've edited it so many times maybe 10 of them will show up. :doh:

I made up the special sauce for the Schmitter, it's something along the lines of Thousand Island I believe. So I just went with this. Ketchup, Mayo, chopped pickles, pickle juice and some woosty sauce.

IMG_3502.jpg

These babies cook pretty quick so I assembled everything out by the grill.

IMG_3512.jpg

Now for the bread, they do sell Amoroso's rolls in my grocery store, although the woman in front of me bought all of them as I stood there and watched. :tsk: No matter though, there is a great Italian bakery right down the road called Corropolese so I made a trip over there for a dozen steak rolls and a dozen medium kaiser's. The best part about these rolls is the soft center, man I love these things.

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

Then the action started. A pile of sliced onions and the Ribeye went on the grill.

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

Some fried Salami.

IMG_3519.jpg

Now onto assembly, the Schmitter starts with the bottom bun, then cheese, steak meat, onions, tomatoes, more cheese, fried Salami, special sauce, and finally more cheese, and the top bun, American cheese BTW. Here's how it went down.

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

Yep, it's a whole lotta awesome.

IMG_3524.jpg

So for my next trick, I figured since I was going over to a friends for the Birds game, I'd pack some cheesesteaks for the peeps. Today we had Whiz Wit, and some suburban variety cheesesteaks, around my house most people like them with American, onions, and sauce. I also made no onion versions for the crazy people.

There is always a debate about chopped vs. sliced steak, I like them both and here we're doing chopped. I guess you could say I like Pat's more than Geno's, although neither of them are really the best you can find.

4lbs of razor thin steak.

IMG_3530.jpg

Diced onions.

IMG_3531.jpg

Meat.

IMG_3532.jpg

Sauce and onions.

IMG_3539.jpg

Whiz. (Note: When using Whiz it's important to warm it up before you spread it on the bun. I heated mine on the stove in a water bath, but the microwave works too. At a lot of steak joints they'll just sit the can on the flat top all day.)

IMG_3534.jpg

Wit.

IMG_3535.jpg

Here's some of them spread out at the party.

IMG_3541.jpg

Schmitter, it get's all melty, and messier after it sits wrapped up in foil for a bit.

IMG_3540.jpg

Whiz Wit for me.

IMG_3543.jpg

and the obligatory cute kids shot, the party was a huge success, including a big 1pt win by the Eagles. :thumb:

IMG_3552.jpg

I'm torn over the money shot. Maybe Al can decide for me between these two.

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

Thank for looking.

:peace:

Last edited:
Back