Smoked leg of lamb - hickory and/or rosemary?

Mitchell

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm about to smoke my first leg of lamb on my grill and I have on hand hickory and fresh rosemary. Any tips on which option to go for and how much. I plan to put the wood in a tin foil envelope and bang it on the coals.

Lamb has been marinated in white wine, red wine vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt and pepper overnight. It's gettin a dry rub of rosemary, onion, garlic and mustard and going I the grill indirect at 120 degrees.

I'm very new at this. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Mitch.

IMHO hickory might be a bit strong for lamb. I love hickory for pork which is a milder tasting meat than lamb so it might work.

I'd take the fresh rosemary and just lay it on the coals so it is the seasoning smoke instead of the hickory but that also would depend on how much dry rosemary is in the dry rub. Start with a small amount this time and adjust more or less the next time you do lamb.

I haven't smoked lamb in a couple of weeks but I just may have to do one tomorrow.

I use almond which is awfully close to pecan and it works out perfect for me... That's my recommendation.

Cheers

I would also go with a milder wood. But, I would also put fresh rosemary on the meat itself, and not use it for smoke. Rosemary is great for lamb, but burning it will not give you the flavor you will get if you put the sprigs directly on the meat, with some oil to work as a flavor transfer agent.

I would, myself, probably use pecan, because I like it, and it is very versatile. Not too much pecan -- I'd go easy on the smoke with lamb. And, I would put the rosemary directly in touch with the meat.

CD

I would also go with a milder wood. But, I would also put fresh rosemary on the meat itself, and not use it for smoke. Rosemary is great for lamb, but burning it will not give you the flavor you will get if you put the sprigs directly on the meat, with some oil to work as a flavor transfer agent.

I would, myself, probably use pecan, because I like it, and it is very versatile. Not too much pecan -- I'd go easy on the smoke with lamb. And, I would put the rosemary directly in touch with the meat.

CD

+1 :thumb:

Yes, dont burn the herb. Not that one anyhow ;)
I've used hickory on lamb. Lamb can take it IMO. I'd rather use something lighter, but if that's all ya have, it'll be fine. Just dont over do it.

Thanks gents. The hickory chips are the only dry hardwood I have on hand (except for some red gum but I'm guessing you guys don't get much of that up your way).

I do a have a young orchard started though with almond, cherry, apricot, apple, orange, lemon, lime, and olive woods. Is it a no no to use fresh prunings for smoking? It's winter here and I have just lopped of a bunch of small branches.

Mitch

No problem at all with using fresh cuttings in a smoker box or in foil.

I love what you have done so far to the lamb. I would have added the Rosemary to the marinade though. IMO, lamb can take a strong wood like hickory, and you're not going to be using much of it in a foil bag, so you will be fine... but some olive trimmings would be very nice.

Good luck with it and please let us all know how you go!

Cheers!

Bill

OH FARK! ''Only now I see it! You're from MELBOURNE! Stick around man!

Hickory works well with lamb but go light with your chips. And mint goes well in your marinate.

CD

+2, also we stab the leg with a knife several places and stick rosemary sprigs directly into the meat.

Back