• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

120 Gal Tank build thread...

Talk about "Junk in the trunk" with this bad girl... Got the majority of the fire box welded up today out of 1/4" steel. That farker is heavy! The actual dimensions are 22"W x 19"H x 19"D which is a bit small if you go by the "thirds" rule. But damn it looks bigger than I thought it would. With the size of the exhaust I am not so worried about the "undersized" firebox. What I would like the bredrin opinion on is wether I should have one big (heavy) door hinged on the right OR should I make double doors that meet in the center and are (obviously) hinged on either side??? Please chime in guys. I think I'm leading towards the double door. Another decision I would like help with is: for the firebox air intakes... should I put the holes on either side or just have them along the lower section of the door? ORRRRRRR just have them on one side of the firebox??? I just don't know man!!! Gonna have either square or circle holes with a sliding choke. (want to sort this chit out tomorrow... I'll be thinking about it.

Well here are the pics of todays work.

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-299.jpg
    screen-capture-299.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • screen-capture-300.jpg
    screen-capture-300.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,313
  • screen-capture-302.jpg
    screen-capture-302.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • screen-capture-305.jpg
    screen-capture-305.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • screen-capture-303.jpg
    screen-capture-303.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,309
  • screen-capture-304.jpg
    screen-capture-304.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,318
Wow, this looks like a really quick build!! Color scheme? Red, green, yellow? or would that be too common down there?:p
Phrasty, are you going to put a "couterweight" on your doors? or are the light enough?

man, you are really moving on this build! It looks great so far! You are right, that FB does look right big next to the tank. I would have a single door on it and ditch the double door

Wow, this looks like a really quick build!! Color scheme? Red, green, yellow? or would that be too common down there?:p
Phrasty, are you going to put a "couterweight" on your doors? or are the light enough?
Thanks Bredrin... colour will be BLACK. :heh: Plus Rastas dont eat pork... and I looove me some pork! :thumb: lol

man, you are really moving on this build! It looks great so far! You are right, that FB does look right big next to the tank. I would have a single door on it and ditch the double door
Thanks man. Any reasons for a single door?? Or is it just cuz its easier??

Hey guys... can I get some more opinions on the door situation?? Appreciate it!

Cheers

I'd do a single door with the hinge on the side- easier to build and no problems w/ it being too heavy to lift. Also, I'd put the air inlet on the door too. If for whatever reason you ever decide to change it- just have to fabricate a new door instead of the whole fire-box. JMHO

I'd do a single door with the hinge on the side- easier to build and no problems w/ it being too heavy to lift. Also, I'd put the air inlet on the door too. If for whatever reason you ever decide to change it- just have to fabricate a new door instead of the whole fire-box. JMHO

Why does that make so much sense???? You're a smart one Mr. "Puffy" Thanks Bro

Cheers

Spent pretty much the entire day on the firebox door. Had to fabricate the choke and grind the diamond ridges on the door smooth in order for the choke to slide and seal properly, that was very time consuming. I threw a small handle to push the choke open or closed with my fire stick. Hopefully I can mount the door and fit the seals tomorrow. Oh yeah, I also cut the coal grate to size. :thumb:

Here are the updated pics.

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-310.jpg
    screen-capture-310.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,286
  • screen-capture-309.jpg
    screen-capture-309.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • screen-capture-308.jpg
    screen-capture-308.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • screen-capture-307.jpg
    screen-capture-307.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,284
  • screen-capture-306.jpg
    screen-capture-306.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,282
  • screen-capture-311.jpg
    screen-capture-311.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,287
  • screen-capture-313.jpg
    screen-capture-313.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,283
where was that fire box rul found at? looks great you do nice work. they do make short radius 90 fittings it would have been 4 inches center to end instead of 6 inches

Is that where you going to use it? Man you are going to town on that bad boy.

looks good, One of the things i have on my big smoker is lp ignition, I used a gas grill burner and regulator wired the burner to my wood rack in the fire box and just light it and throw the wood in after a few min pull the lp off and you have a good fire going its real nice when geting it fired up when you have other things that you need to be geting ready

Awesome job, Phrasty! Glad I could help. Next time I'm in your area I'll swing by and check it out in person and we'll knock a few back! :thumb:

looks good, One of the things i have on my big smoker is lp ignition, I used a gas grill burner and regulator wired the burner to my wood rack in the fire box and just light it and throw the wood in after a few min pull the lp off and you have a good fire going its real nice when geting it fired up when you have other things that you need to be geting ready

I thought about doing that, but didn't see the point when all I have is a UDS. Might give it a shot if I ever build anything bigger. How do you seal up around the supply line while still providing enough air for the LP to burn?

I like it. Personally, I like the double D doors. Probably less heat loss when you are checking on things and less recovery time, but I'm just guessing as I don't own a big stick burner like that.
Will you be attaching the firebox like that......level with the meat chamber or will it be lower than the meat chamber? You got some mean fabricating skillz! Keep us prondated!

Bob

Awesome job, Phrasty! Glad I could help. Next time I'm in your area I'll swing by and check it out in person and we'll knock a few back! :thumb:
Thanks Puffy! For sure... Gimme a heads up and we can definitely hang out and throw something on the grill. :thumb:

I like it. Personally, I like the double D doors. Probably less heat loss when you are checking on things and less recovery time, but I'm just guessing as I don't own a big stick burner like that.
Will you be attaching the firebox like that......level with the meat chamber or will it be lower than the meat chamber? You got some mean fabricating skillz! Keep us prondated!

Bob
Hey Bob. I kinda wanted to do the double door as well but I thought with the vents on the door and an extra seal to deal with, the single door would be the better/easier and time conscious decision.

The firebox will be mounted approx. 10" below where it is now / 3" below the bottom food grate, like standard offsets.

Thanks for the compliment... all these "skillz" are self-taught. Out here if you want something done right you have to do it yourself! Well... its the better and cheaper way if you can make the time to do it. Plus I get it EXACTLY how I want it... I am a graphic designer... and unfortunately a perfectionist on top of it! :frusty: I just hope I can get it sandblasted when the time comes and it turns out nice. I'd HATE to have to grind off the paint off this sucker!!! Thanks again Bredrin!

Cheers

Sooo tired... Starting to feel the effects of this smoker on me.. This biznitch better feed me and treat me well! Spent all day grinder her box...:twitch: ...uh I mean the firebox...:mmph::doh: Whatever, Got some decent progress on the firebox today... had to even out all the edges of the case and the door and check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust........ u get the idea. Being scrap I guess a couple pieces were bent a little... Kinda hard to get a bend out of a 2 foot 1/4" plate! Anyways when it FINALLY looked good enough I welded on the hinges (gonna add a 3rd one in the middle very soon), but the door seems pretty well supported. Once the door was on I started cutting and fitting the seals for it out of 1" angle iron. Once the seals were tacked on thankfully the fit was nice and snug. At that point I just about collapsed, had a drink, a smoke, grabbed the camera to snap a couple shots to keep you guys updated and called it a night... :faint: :yield:

Cheers!

Attachments

• screen-capture-321.jpg
    screen-capture-321.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,389
  • screen-capture-315.jpg
    screen-capture-315.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,340
  • screen-capture-318.jpg
    screen-capture-318.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,333
  • screen-capture-319.jpg