Open Porch BBQ Concession Question

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking to get about a 8x24 trailer with a 10ft proch but our country code says no food cooked outside. Is that the norm??? Is that concidered outside???? I know our country is the 3rd hardest in the country but dang... No cover porch.....

Better talk to the HD on this one
Every county seems to be different

I have seen some screen in the porch and that passes. Best bet is to check with local HD.

I agree, check with your local HD and tell them EXACTLY what you are wanting to do. In some cases it may mean that the food can't be cooked on an open style grill etc. without being inside a screened structure. But in some cases I've seen them approve it if the food is cooked in a closed pit/smoker and the food is carried into the trailer in covered containers.

We do have options to install screening on our trailers if that's the route the customer decides to take.

Usually you are fine with a porch. Cooking outside seems to be in their definition out in the air, no cover.

To see how crazy the HD can be, when I was putting in the restaurant they were concerned about cooking in the OH (the OH was under a steel roof) and taking the food out of the OH and bringing it to the kitchen because a bird might do it's business on the food tray. Since the OH was on an outdoor patio and the food came to the customers on plates to the patio I asked them what to do about the customers food when we served it. They were not worried about customers getting their food contaminated but were concerned that I make sure the food coming out of the smoker was covered on it's way to the kitchen. It took a while for them to agree to let me put the smoked food in a cooler and cover the cooler with a towel that could be thrown away if the bird did it's duty on the towel. Not good enough to clean off the top of the cooler!! So far, no bird problems.

Back