Honey Baked Ham Company

Bartstop

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My company gave out $50 gift certificates to Honey Baked Ham Company for Christmas. Well we picked one up today. 7 lbs. My question is, have any of you double smoked one of these? Do they really need it? I've smoked quite a few hams over the last couple years but I wonder if it's really necessary on these. Your thoughts?

Dave

I haven't done one from Honey Baked, but I've done other spiral sliced hams and they come out great! It's fully cooked, so you're really just reheating it in the smoke, so don't over cook it or it will dry out. I take it to at least 140 internal, but not higher than 150.

Honeybaked is a top of the line ham as is, not sure I would use it to test with.

We get two every Christmas as a gift from an Aunt. I have also wondered about smoking one but have been afraid the glaze would caramelize too much. Suppose it would help to keep temp down around 175 if you can.

I wouldn't do it on a HB. They recommend serving cold only, I would go with that. Now if you get your hands on a Dearborn Ham, I would do that, 140 internal

I have tried reheating one and don't think I will ever go that route again. As someone else noted, it really screwed up the glaze. I would really recommend just following their directions for serving. That is what we have done ever since and have been very happy with their products.

Please don't try to double smoke a Honey Baked spiral cut ham. In my experience they will seriously burn and flair out at the edges and you end up with a DRY mess. Please reheat it in the oven, tightly wraped. You wouldn't take a pork butt and slice it thin before you smoked it, right? :loco:

Honey Baked are perfect when you get them. I don't think I would mess with one but, if you do, let us know how it turned out.

From Yahoo:

"You really don't have to reheat them because they can be eaten at room temperature. However, if you want to serve it warm, put it in a 350 degree oven, covered with tin foil for about 35-45 minutes. If you are in a hurry, slice off some pieces, fan them out on a cookie sheet, cover with foil in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. YUMO!"

There you go! :p

Edit: When all else fails go to the HB website. It is a perfectly cooked product when you get it.

Back