18 lb Turkey on Green Mountain Grill

J

jbenien

I am new to this site adn will be smoking an 18lb turkey for the first time on saturday on my green mountain grill. Should i go low and slow or high and fast and if so how long and what temperatures. I will brine it and then rub with some turkey seasoning and then spray the outside with butter. Please help!!!!

I prefer to not stuff, I like the heat to circulate easily into the Bird. But I do not smoke them either, I cook at 325º-350º. With that big a Bird I would cook it at those temps to keep it safe. If I were going to Smoke one the maximum weight would be 14lbs for me. Be careful, poultry takes on Smoke very easy and it is not hard to over-smoke it.

You can't go wrong following the instructions on the bag for oven cooking.

Lots of threads here on Turkey.

Thanks. I have looked around but dont see any on green mountain's

I have a GMG DB and a FEC-100 so I know pellet cooking fairly well.

I'd place the bird right in the middle of the grill since the fire-pot is underneath it. I'm assuming you've left it in stock configuration in that the heat deflector and drip pan are in place. That will provide a good diffusion of heat and keep the cooking pretty even. If you want the drippings you may need to use a rack with a pan etc.

I'd cook at ~325-350 on the GMG until the internal is ~165 to 170 depending on where you are measuring.

The beauty of the pellet cookers, and the GMG is no different, is that you will get an oven like regulation of temperature so think very similar in terms to cooking it in an oven.

One trick I've used in the past if I want some extra smoke is to prepare an aluminum foil packet with a couple small holes in it and put wood chips in it. Place this ontop of the heat shield (not the drip pan) and you will get some extra smoke out of the cooker.

Hope it goes well. Post some pr0n!

Back