Why not 3PM

parrdist

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Why does the turn ins begin at 12:00 noon? Why not 3 PM that way you could start your big cuts later instead of 2 AM and staying up all night. A 3 or 4 PM turn in would allow teams to get a little sleep.

With the first turn-in at noon, we're usually lucky if awards start on time at 5pm...especially if there are backyard turn-ins following the pro's.

I really don't want to wait until 8pm for awards if turn-in's begin at 3pm. A decent night's sleep Friday would be nice, but not at the expense of being in my own bed Saturday night at a reasonable time.

I would think that most organizers stick to the same schedule as most teams are comfortable with the turn in times, and like to get home at a decent time.

From the KCBS rules:
11) Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday.
The four (4) KCBS categories will be judged in the following
order:
CHICKEN NOON
PORK RIBS 12:30 pm
PORK 1:00 pm
BEEF BRISKET 1:30 pm
Times may vary at any contest. Turn-in times will be confirmed
at the Cooks Meeting. An entry will be judged only at the time

established by the contest organizer.

Some events do move off of the "KCBS standard" turn-in times. There is no KCBS rule for specific times beyond a recommendation. The Georgia BBQ Championship Throwdown this past January is one example that comes to mind for a contest with afternoon turn-ins.

I didn't cook the contest, but as I recall, the later times were well received.

Here in California, contests are usually partnered with some sort of festival or event and teams often sell food to the public. Some contests move the time to start turn ins an hour early in order to give the teams more time to sell to the public. Moving later would totally interfere with this.

Change the way you cook... or your cooker....
Or live with it....

If anything, I would want turn-ins earlier. So I could head home sooner or actually get to enjoy some of the festival surrounding the cookoffs.

If sleep is a priority... Get an FEC...

I'm in bed by 1030 and don't get up until 6 or 630... As well rested as you can be sleeping on a cot in a trailer!

I agree with moving turns in back would also delay awards. Also if they moved the turn in to 3 I would actually get less sleep with that setup the way we put our meat on.

Like the others I am fine with the current system, but I would go one further and make it mandatory to use the 12:00 start time. We did one contest last year and the organizer chose 12:30 for chicken and so forth.

Let me tell you. When you have specific times you put stuff on and spritz and glaze etc... having to totally recalculate everything makes you paranoid on doing to right.

My understanding is that they wanted to allow folks to get home Saturday evening so they'd be able to get to church sunday morning. I'd be okay with later turnin as its the ribs that drive when I get up. But I'd miss that 5 - 7 time when the sun starts to rise and it's cool and quiet.

Why does the turn ins begin at 12:00 noon? Why not 3 PM that way you could start your big cuts later instead of 2 AM and staying up all night. A 3 or 4 PM turn in would allow teams to get a little sleep.

We don't even start cooking until 5am Saturday. Put the big meats on then go back to bed for a couple more hours. Works fine. I'd rather get to awards ASAP so I can get home.

I would be for a later turn in. I wouldnt have to wrap until 8 am that would be nice.

Like the others I am fine with the current system, but I would go one further and make it mandatory to use the 12:00 start time. We did one contest last year and the organizer chose 12:30 for chicken and so forth.

Let me tell you. When you have specific times you put stuff on and spritz and glaze etc... having to totally recalculate everything makes you paranoid on doing to right.

Totally agree. Madison IN starts ck at 11 am. I don't mind that but Mobile AL starts @ 11:30 am. That throws my internal ticker into a spin. I have to write up a schedule for that.:crazy:

I thought it was because lunch is at noon. Any later judges might eat something else and not have enough room for all of that delicious bbq.

Totally agree. Madison IN starts ck at 11 am. I don't mind that but Mobile AL starts @ 11:30 am. That throws my internal ticker into a spin. I have to write up a schedule for that.:crazy:

Oh, that's my problem in Madison....all my turns are an hour late. Hmmm, never made the connection.

I'm all for the turn ins starting at noon. Awards around 5-ish and I'm on the road home by 6:30.

Back