Looking for insight on specialty pork butts.

I did ask for a larger than normal butt and a product that had a nice fat cap along with being fresh. *When they Fedex'd me the meat I called to talk to the packer and they explained my products specs. *It was like me asking the gas station clerk for a winning lottery ticket last Tuesday morning, except she did sell me a $100 winner. *
In 1998 I learned to butcher from a German immigrant in Northern Iowa. *The cut that was sent to me was the same cut I used in my butchering since then. *For an old German butcher to cut that way makes me wonder why it is called Japanese.
I am not sure how this cut I got from my new found source compares to the 13-17 pound butts I had been purchasing from a local food service company *differs. *We have always had huge butts with nice money muscles from U.S. Foodservice and Hawkeye Food Service.
Would it matter who was doing the actual cutting at the Hormel, IBP, JBS, or other packing plant? *I would guess that human involvement at the plant often leads to poor quality or great quality butts and being diligent in meat selection process rather than someone going out to buy collars. *I have a packing plant that I can purchase fresh killed never frozen butts 12 minutes from my farm that I have found great product as well.
As long as rule #10 in the KCBS rule book is followed then nobody should have anything to worry about.

Nope. Guess I didn't need to, I got some fancy Japanese cut of pork from a custom meat plant in Iowa when I really went looking for a large butt from premium stock with good marbling. Enough said. I will see a CBJ instructor and pork buyer next weekend maybe he can shed some light on the question about custom cuts.:razz:

Fair enough, so you have enough experience to tell when a butt is cut long vs a standard butt. This is the kind of knowledge that KCBS reps and inspectors need to acquire if they're going to leave rule 10 as vague as it is now.

This thread is the perfect example on why rule 10 needs to be either defined better or opened up to any pork except ribs as Dr. BBQ suggested in the pork collar thread
:focus:

...Well, being from Iowa, at least you should know where your Pork Collars come from!

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

..just sayin'!

Boyden is way to far to drive for pork. I would rather pick it up closer to home. I wish I had known it was under my nose all this time.:loco:

We used Boneless Berkshire butts last year. All in the 8-10 lb. range. Finished 4th Overall in Pork 2011 PNWBA. Not bad since we started the season out on a Klose and finished on WSM's.

Back