• Smoked Marrow & Sausages

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Everyone...
So I was passing by my butcher the yesterday & he mentioned he had a beef thigh bone for me, I usually get them for my dogs but I decided to keep this one for myself and have another night with the bone marrow as I've done before.. Think I posted the last one as well. Anyways, I had to sample some sausages that are being formulated for a little business venture tonight as well so I thought I'd throw the bones to finish off the night of samples and beers (It was a couple of us btw). It was SOO good! It might be a little out there for some, but I do recommend it!
Here's what went down:

So first I cut up the bone and seasoned it a little with my beef rub:

a6d72ac4.jpg

b2ccfc92.jpg

47fe5ae6.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the topping I use to cut the richness of the marrow. Its basically Parsley, garlic, scotch bonnet, lime juice (I had frozen), kosher salt, a dash of my beef rub, evoo, then mashed in a mortar then added fine diced tomato. (Forgot to take a pic of the tomato added, you'll see it later with the plated pic. :doh:

20d8e324.jpg

f0db9fc1.jpg

Then it was off to the grill with the sausages & bones. Used some almond smoke to smoke the bones. Must say I was mostly impressed with the sausages... these are going to be awesome! We had a brat, 2 types of chorizo and a custom blended sausage!

029e68b4.jpg

d68032fb.jpg

94ca3fec.jpg

87e90472.jpg

We just sliced and sampled them, but then the big guns came off the fire... and this was so damn amazing! Basically you spread it on some toasted french bread (I just did them on the grill too...:thumb:) and you spread the marrow on the toast with the garlic parsley topping on top and have at it! It really might not look like the most appetizing thing, but as I've said... Oh BOY its good!:shocked::heh: The wife still won't try it! :crazy::heh:

50451324.jpg

07b9774a.jpg

297128cc.jpg

c05c9f7f.jpg

ec7841a2.jpg

Well thanks for looking guys! :thumb:
Cheers.

I love marrow!! Any problems with the marrow rendering out during the cook?

Not at all man, I mean... you see a little in the pan but you gonna get that regardless. I use a toothpick, as soon as it goes in and comes out "like butta" its ready. If it renders out it's being over done. :thumb:

Cheers

All looks mighty tasty Phras! I'm interested in your cutom blend sausage. How'd it turn out?

All looks mighty tasty Phras! I'm interested in your cutom blend sausage. How'd it turn out?

Thanks Gary, Well the sausage isn't my blend but its real nice. Was thinking it kinda tasted like an "Indian Chorizo" if there was such a thing. Had those nice notes of a chorizo but then comes a wave of some indian spices... not overwhelming but nice.

OMG That looks soooo Good. How long did you cook them for and @ what Temp

Hey George, thanks man. i think they might have been of for 45-60mins at high heat (350 or so) Definitely something to give a try!

Cheers.

I am ready for the party at Phrastys. Bone marrow is up there with some of the finest eats.

AAAAAAAAAH!!! I CAN'T FREAKING TAKE IT ANYMORE! i JUST CHIPPED A TOOTH ON MY MONITOR. That marrow looks absolutely flippin fabulous.

I just showed pic to my dog. she's drooling all over the place and jonesin' for those leftover bones! :)

I've been thinking of doing marrow... looks great all around!

My brother's restaurant in Chicago has marrow on the menu... served on a sourdough toast... great combo. The smokiness added this way would be good, too.

Back