I need some advice from experenced guys

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Okay, since I have joined the Brethren, I have wanted to compete. Thanks to Divemaster, who let me join his team in WI last year - and to all the other Brethren that helped, advised and encouraged me, I did a couple of rib comps (one had chicken, too).

I have the bug. I'd like to do a couple - or a few comps this year. I know that my trailer-ed smoker is too large to take to a comp (isn't it, for those who have seen it?)

I have a BGE Large and a BGE small, a Big Steel Keg, and a 18.5" WSM. I am not sure I want to load and haul the BGE large, but probably "could".

I'm guess what I am asking is this: Should I try to pick up another WSM or another cooker?

Suggestions???

I think you can do it with what you have... Ramona did PoorQue last year on a single Large BGE...

No sense in spending more money at the start. I would build up to it...

i think you'd be ok with the wsm and bubba keg.
brisket and pork overnight in the wsm. then ribs in the morning in that and chicken in the keg.
BUT, if you wanna have some fun spending, get a 22 WSM. bring that and the 18 and you'd be real good to go.
personally, if i had one, i wouldn't even think about moving around a BGE.
i use a single wsm 22. it takes some timing and scheduling, but all 4 categories can be done on time with it.
my only caveat is limited "options" see below.
i cook
1 brisket(risky)
2 butts(sufficient)
2 racks of ribs(risky)
plenty of chicken(sufficient)

One can always use another smoker ... right?

Actually as you are just starting out, I would hold off on another smoker unless you were sure of what you wanted.
I'll second boogie's comment: get your butt and brisket done early and hold in a cooler. You'll have all morning to cook ribs and chicken.

How do you like the steel keg? That and the WSM should work really well. No need to buy ton's of equipment at the start.

I know we see a number of teams hauling them around, but after seeing a BGE get broken I'd be reluctant to take it.

How comfortable are you on your WSM and keg? Maybe keep an eye on local listings to pick up another WSM? The one thing that can be said for them is that they're reasonably lightweight and easy to transport. If you don't take your trailered smoker, what will you haul stuff in?

And how big is that trailered smoker anyway? We've seen some pretty huge stuff at contests! Depends too on how far you're going to have to go -- if you have to drive a bit to get to a couple of contests, gas racks up quick.

Your trailer pit would be overkill, but not bad. I've seen bigger. But, you'd be up all night feeding the fire.

I'd suggest the WSM and the Bubba Keg. As mentioned, you can do a brisket and two butts in the WSM, and time it so they are done before you have to start the ribs. Then cooler the brisket and butts and to the ribs on the WSM and chicken in the Keg.

Before we started competing, we had an 18.5" WSM. We bought 2 more the first year we competed, taking 3 to each comp. The next year (2009) I got a great deal on a 22" and now we use the 22 and our oldest 18.5"
I do butts and ribs in the 18 and brisket and chicken in the big one.

But don't listen to me, we bring everything including the kitchen sink...:rolleyes:

I would think that between an 18" and the bubba keg you could get by ok, I just like the extra real estate in the 22 for whole packers

Thanks, Diva.
I am fairly confident with both the keg and WSM - still learning.

The trailered smoker is pretty big, I'll try to find pictures. Like Ron L said, it is a wood hog, and I'd rather not have to feed the smokers so often. The smoker takes up MOST of the room in the trailer, so there's not a lot of room for other stuff.

I am planning on using an enclosed trailer with shelving, handsink, a/c for hauling, then prep, then sleeping.

I'd rather haul that with the smaller smokers in it and have the extra room/sleeping quarters/etc. than haul a trailer. This way, too, I can boil my ribs without getting harassed. I kid. I kid.

I know we see a number of teams hauling them around, but after seeing a BGE get broken I'd be reluctant to take it.

How comfortable are you on your WSM and keg? Maybe keep an eye on local listings to pick up another WSM? The one thing that can be said for them is that they're reasonably lightweight and easy to transport. If you don't take your trailered smoker, what will you haul stuff in?

And how big is that trailered smoker anyway? We've seen some pretty huge stuff at contests! Depends too on how far you're going to have to go -- if you have to drive a bit to get to a couple of contests, gas racks up quick.

The trailered smoker is pretty big, I'll try to find pictures. Like Ron L said, it is a wood hog, and I'd rather not have to feed the smokers so often. The smoker takes up MOST of the room in the trailer, so there's not a lot of room for other stuff.

I am planning on using an enclosed trailer with shelving, handsink, a/c for hauling, then prep, then sleeping.

I'd rather haul that with the smaller smokers in it and have the extra room/sleeping quarters/etc. than haul a trailer.

OOOooooOOOooooo, you have ALL the toys! :wink:

That's why I asked how you'd haul all the crap, because the folks we've seen with big trailer-mounts also have a LOT of storage on them, and that's where most of the bits-and-pieces stuff goes. If you've got your enclosed trailer too, you're golden!

Good luck at the contest(s)!

If you want to compete, you don't need any special equipment or anything, no trailers, rigs or portapotties either. Cook your meal and serve it on dinnerware (not styrofoam), take a picture and submit it on the throwdown thread. :thumb:

Dang, you mean I need a CAMERA? :doh:

Dan, I would not consider myself experienced in the truest sense of the word.
My team competes with 4 WSMs and we are able to transport everything we need in a mini-van and a small (~4x6) trailer.
We could probably get by with fewer smokers, but I like having one for each meat just in case we have issues and are unable to pull butts or briskets early.

Back