Side dish help!!!!

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I'm doing a couple of spicy pork tenderloins tomorrow, and need a good side dish. The pork will be Asian in theme, and I was thinking some sort of Soba or Udon noodle. Any input would be appreciated. I'm sure some brethren from the west coast, will have some great ideas....

Here is a great side dish that goes well with anything including Asian meat dishes - Ginger Glazed Carrots.

1 Pound Carrots
1 Tsp minced Ginger
12 ounces of Ginger Ale
2 tsp Corn Starch
1/4 stick of unsalted butter

Clean, peal, and slice the carrots in about 1/8" medallions. Add the carrots, ginger, and ginger ale to a large skillet. Bring to a simmer (not a boil) and cook until the carrots are tender. Keep an eye on the liquid. If it needs more during the cook, add more ginger ale. If there is more than about 1/4 cup of liquid in the pan once the carrots are done, turn up the heat and boil away the excess stirring often to prevent the carrots from burning. Mix about 1/8 cup of ginger ale with 2 tsp of corn starch. Bring the liquid to a boil and whisk in just enough of the corn starch slurry to thicken the liquid to the desired consistency. Remove the skillet from heat and incorporate the butter until it is melted. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

If you like them to be a little sweeter (which is good with pork) add a little sugar while they are simmering.

Here's one we made up to go with some Thai chicken and it is so easy!

DSC_0211resized.jpg

Thai Me Up Stir Fried Noodles

Source: www.nibblemethis.com

Ingredients

1/2 cup chicken stock
3 teaspoon Mr. Yoshida's Original Sweet & Savory (substitute teriyaki)
3 teaspoon chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger, fresh grated
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 ounces noodles
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced

Instructions,
Cook noodles according to instructions.

Heat a wok over medium high heat. Add in and whisk together chicken stock, Yoshida's, peanut butter, honey, ginger, red pepper flakes and diced red pepper for about 1 minute. If needed, add a little slurry of corn starch and water to thicken the sauce.

Add in cooked noodles, peas, and carrot. Toss to thoroughly coat noodles with sauce. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with some diced green onion.

Swibirun, thanks that is exactly the type of dish I am looking for, I love the peanut butter.

This salad might go well with your spicy tenderloins and Thai Me Up Noodles.
An original recipe from www.thehogblog.com

Asian Mixed Green Salad

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
½ tablespoon freshly ground ginger
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup sesame oil
1 (10-ounce) package mixed salad greens
2 tangerines, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup goat cheese crumbled
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup Chow Mein Noodles (I prefer La Choy)

In a blender or food processor, combine vinegar, mustard, honey, ginger, lemon zest, salt, and some fresh ground black pepper. Cover and blend for 30 seconds. With the blender running slowly, add oil in a thin, steady stream. (If necessary, stop blender and scrape down sides.) In a salad bowl, combine greens, tangerines, goat cheese, and cranberries. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to coat and top with Chow Mein noodles. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Back