Any candy or turkey fryer thermometer long probe mount just under the grate. My daughter got me a couple from Canadian Tire and one from Wal-mart all at 12.99 CDN

I was at Academy store today and saw the Old Smokey 3" thermometers @ 19.99 there, looked an awful lot like the Spicewine Ironworks 3" thermometer for $20. What do yall think? Here's the pics.
Academy on the left, Spicewine on the right.

Might save shipping costs if you have an Academy close by.

This is the exact one I used on my UDS

Thanks blackdog043. I am running it wide open now. It is a cool 48 degree night don't know if I can get it over 380 where it has been holding for a while.

Hey Guys ..... I'm picking up a drum today and I have a few questions about building my UDS. How hot does the bottom get? Will installing casters raise it high enough that it won't be a problem? I noticed that Bigmista uses some kind of planter under his fire box. I guess that keeps some of the heat off the bottom. I'm new here so please bear with me.

What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?

Remember why you are seasoning it and throw a couple fatties on. The UDS will be nicely seasoned, you will have your first pron and your family will be sold after their first bite. Fatties are almost mistake proof so temp swings are not a problem.

WalMArt has weber knockoff 22.5 cooking grates for 12 dollars. My ribs will never know the difference. They are just a bit thinner than the weber grates.

Hey Guys ..... I'm picking up a drum today and I have a few questions about building my UDS. How hot does the bottom get? Will installing casters raise it high enough that it won't be a problem? I noticed that Bigmista uses some kind of planter under his fire box. I guess that keeps some of the heat off the bottom. I'm new here so please bear with me.

I have mine on three evenly spaced bricks and it does not affect the wooden deck it's sitting on. The barrel doesn't really get that hot anyway.

When I purchased my Ole Hickory CTO Smoker I had an executive chef tell me to get a pound of bacon and lay on the racks and crank the smoker up. Just another idea.

What do most people coat the inside of the drum with before seasoning..?!?

You don't want to drill holes in the bottom of the barrel if you want to keep the missus happy. She won't be keen on dripping grease all over the deck or patio. Just prop the barrel up on three bricks and you're good to go. As has been said, the bottom does not get that hot.

Sterling Skouson

? fired up uds on sunday cooked 2 chickens and a fatty.could not get the temp below 275. usd RO lump 1/3 chimney to start and 7lbs in basket top vents wide open ball valve open about 1/8 why can't i get it to 225?

? fired up uds on sunday cooked 2 chickens and a fatty.could not get the temp below 275. usd RO lump 1/3 chimney to start and 7lbs in basket top vents wide open ball valve open about 1/8 why can't i get it to 225?

Tell us more about your design. Is you lid sealed well?

WalMArt has weber knockoff 22.5 cooking grates for 12 dollars. My ribs will never know the difference. They are just a bit thinner than the weber grates.

That brand also come with hinges!! I opted for the cheaper version @ biglots $29.95. The grills are for crap, but the lid is usable.

weber lid sealed well. 3 -1 inch pipe nipples welded into bottom of drum 2closed during cook also have flat lid have not tried it

Back