Chix Smoked on the Stubby DrumPit

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last night I decided I wanted to Brine some whole chickens.
The brine I used was 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup Texas Pete, 1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning and 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper. All into a pot with water and on the stove until it boiled. I stirred it a few minutes to allow every thing to dissolve and then added that to a 16 quart pot with ice cubes and enough cold water to fully submerge 4 whole chickens. Into the refrigerator overnite to do it's thing. When I got home from work today I drained and washed the chix and placed them on beer can holders back into the fridge to air dry. Once dry I used Vegetable oil to slick them down and applied Stubb's Rosemary and Ginger Rub....
Ready for the Smoke....
Chix_Rubbed_1.jpg

Stubby DrumPit coming to Temp....
Stubby_2.jpg

Chix in the Smoke...
Chix_Cozzy_4.jpg

Looks Cozy....
Chix_Cozzy_3.jpg

Sexy,Sexy.......Needs to be a CenterFold.....:biggrin:
Sexy_Chix_5.jpg

Looks like some kind of deranged encounter group.

Actually, looks like a good dinner.

They look like Dancin Chickens to me,, bet they tasted great..

since they looked like they were holding hands could you hear them singing kumbaya while smoking away? =)

Hoooooweee!! I'm so there.......I wish I was. The stubby drum looks like it did short work of them chicks!! :-D I hit a piece of each bird! Looking good Bro.

And the Verdict is in....Brining is the way to go!!!!
Next time I will definitely step up the Heat Aspect....Two Tablespoons of Cayenne and 1/2 cup of Texas Pete to start....
The heat was there but it fell short of what I was Hoping for...:biggrin:

Could you maybe float some fresh habs in the brine? That will pump the heat up a bit. I need to try my hand at brining.

I'm using that brine on a chicken tonight that will go on the smoker tomorrow for dinner.

Thanks N8man.

Addendum....Something I have learned from using the Stubby Drumpit...
I use a Disc Harrow blade covered in Aluminum foil as a Heat Shield since the Charcoal is so much closer to the cooking grate than with my Taller Drumpit, and I have found that turning the Chickens 45 degrees every 30 minutes helps to cook the chickens evenly. Also, I start the cooking at 250* and let the Drumpit slowly increase Temp to 325* over the Three hours it takes to finish the Chickens. At the Three Hour Mark the Chickens were 170* in the Breast and 180* in the Thigh, the Brining aided in keeping the Meat Moist and Juicy.

Don't get carried away with the hot peppers...remember you want to taste the chicken. Looks great and sweet smoker you made there.

N8, that looks great! Glad you smoked four birds - two for you and two for me???

Back