Oops, still frozen

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Sunday I took a frozen brisket and stuck it in the fridge, probably 12 lbs cooked, to thaw. I have to have it reheated and at my in-laws around 3-3:30.
It isnt frozen solid as I got the probe in. I dont want to slice it until it is time to serve.

The probe says 32, the oven says 350 and the clock says 12:44. wonder who will win this one?

You'll be good. If its unwrapped, put a bit of water in the pan for steam. If its wrapped, even better.

yep, it is wrapped up tight. This is one of those I did a couple of weeks ago. I never unwrapped it so all of the juice is still in there. woohoo we're up to 34!! Lets eat!!

This is the first brisket I have done. If it turns out like the butts it will taste just like I pulled it off the smoker. I plan to take it back to around 190 then cooler it till time to slice it.

If it's already been smoked to ,what, 190*-200* the first time, why take it to 190* a second time? I would think you get it past 140*-150* and it's good to go. Just wondered if there was a reason?

no not really a good reason I guess, just what I thought I would do since I have to transport and not sure what time we will eat. 115 right now, the brisket is winning.

It turned out pretty darn good!! Maybe a little drier than I would have liked. Next time I think I will add a little beef stock or something. Everyone talked about how good the flavor was and it was nice and tender.

We rolled it out of the foil which made it end up with the point down. My FIL did the slicing and I am not sure I agree with the way he sliced it. Still I think it needed a little moisture added before I reheated. Fortunately I have just enough left for a big pot of chili in the next day or so!

Jeff,

I'm glad it worked out for you!!!

I do this all the time for NASCAR... Cook to about 195* foiled (I like it a little under done) then chill it quick for easy slicing, cryovacing, and freezing... I save any and all juice from the foil in a plastic container and freeze it as well... Then when I'm going to serve it I thaw it and then just put the cryovac in boiling water (the reason for under cooking it a bit) and warm the juice up in a sauce pan.... cut the bag and pour the juice over it and it comes out great...

Back