• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the best lump coal brand?

Hootie125

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have read numerous articles and tests and am wondering if anyone can tell me in their opinion what the best lump coal brand is? I use ozark oak and have not ventured off to any other brands. I take it back I tried cowboy was not impressed. I am open for suggestions and willing to try something new.

How much are you paying for Ozark? I pay 5.98/8.8# bag for RO in the green bag. IMO is a really good lump charcoal. Being the best is subjective. If it doing what you want it to do than, keep using it.

I have had really good luck with Dragons Breath. I had never heard of it up until about a year ago when I saw some teams at a local contest using it. Not sure if it is sold everywhere

I like wicked good; however, the last bag was a little iffy. It didn't burn as long and "popped". Have also had good experiences with Royal Oak.

My fav. Is wicked good. I've never tried oz are oak (heard great reviews on it , just can't get it where I live.)

I have had really good luck with Dragons Breath. I had never heard of it up until about a year ago when I saw some teams at a local contest using it. Not sure if it is sold everywhere

Where are you finding it in St. Louis?

My favorites are:

The Good One Lump
Kamado Joe Lump (North American Blend)
Vision 100% Oak Lump

I have also had pretty good luck with Big Green Egg Lump and Royal Oak Lump.

I had a so-so experience with Wicked Good, but I've heard they have had some QC issues lately, so maybe I got a bad bag.

I avoid Frontier Lump and Cowboy Lump.

You can fid dragons breath at St. Louis Home Fires and a competition team Smokin Fyrpit sells it as well. I contacted them on facebook and they gave me a great deal

I use RO. I tried some Best of the West oak because they were out of RO and it sucked.

I know I used it once, but can't recall the experience. How's the burn time, smell, fireworks etc..?

I can get large 40# bags for dirt cheap, as Lazzari is local to my area.

Just please trust me and go buy it.

Size of pieces in the bag vary from small to huge. Just break up the huge with a brick layers hammer and you got the size you need for whatever you cook.

Just please trust me and go buy it.

Size of pieces in the bag vary from small to huge. Just break up the huge with a brick layers hammer and you got the size you need for whatever you cook.

I'm trying to muster up a trip to their Brisbane, CA plant. That's the only place that sells their Oak lump. 40#'s for 16 bucks is not bad. :thumb:

i'm a fan of Ozark Oak but it's gotten kinda pricey. Looking into buying it in Arkansas the next time i go to Tennessee.

I'm trying to muster up a trip to their Brisbane, CA plant. That's the only place that sells their Oak lump. 40#'s for 16 bucks is not bad. :thumb:

$13.95 at your local Cash&Carry if there is one close to you. it's Mesquite not Oak tho.

i'm a fan of Ozark Oak but it's gotten kinda pricey. Looking into buying it in Arkansas the next time i go to Tennessee.

It's getting pricey here in Arkansas too compared to what it used to sell for. Dayumed inflation.:tsk:

Back