Corn on the Cob--smoked and grilled

You guys that foil could just use the husks.

Personally, I am not fond of the flavor that the husks add to the corn. I almost always grill or cook husked, but I would foil before I cooked in the husk.
Just a flavor decision for me.

I hate to say it, but....

peel it, moisten it, wrap it in wax paper, and microwave it...the microwave
converts the starch and makes it sweeter....

If you want to grill it, etc....then remember that any green husk left on,
wet or not, means that you are steaming it.

Whatever floats your boat!:))

And as the moisture is driven off [par-cooking the corn as it goes], the process will automatically converts to grilling, finishing the corn with some caramelization hopefully.

Having said that, the steam factor is why I prefer to strip my corn and throw it naked onto the grates. Grilling from the get-go, and the dehydration effect of the heat concentrates the flavor.

Help me out here, please.
If I wrap it in wax paper, add moisture, and ZAP it--am I not steaming it also?

Confused Mod here :oops:

Thanks,

TIM

Ive used a little olive oil and Pesto on them as well and then wrapped back in husks or foiled

My all time favorite is corn brushed with butter, then rolled in any onion soup mix like Lipton's and wraped in foil. Either grill it or throw in in the smoker. Heck its even great done in the oven.
Dave

I just take them as is and cook on the grill. When the husk is pretty charred, they are ready. Just peel, drench in butter and salt, and say good-bye to the little shuckers!

We like to steam ours in the double steamer (or whatever its called). We have a big pot that has a basket that hangs inside. We put an inch of water in the bottom then stand corn on their ends (shucked) in the basket. 8 minutes. We put salt and Old Bay in the water. Wonderful

I usually cook it indirectly, in the husk. I run them under the faucet before putting them on the grill, seems to keep them a little more moist. Hard to beat a good ear of corn!

This is great - I have to do 200 ears of corn this week. We're running a test today of the process.

I de-silk the corn, take off 1 or 2 layers of husk and then soak them for 30-45 minutes. I used to cook them on the stick burners with indirect heat for 30 minutes and then pull them off and eat.

With the spicewine we're going to pile them in and let them roast. Today will give me a good idea. but after we cook them we'll wrap them in aluminum foil. that way they keep the heat and flavor and maintain the handle of the husk.

Deep fried corn. In order to give this thread some more umph and we can roadmap it.

Real easy, pay attention now. You take the de-husked and de-haired corn and lower it into 350 degree peanut oil. It takes about 3 or so minutes. You can tell when they are ready as the kernels will start getting brown.

After that just cook longer or shorter according to doneness preferences.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Yummmmmmmms.

Anybody else have other corn on the cob methods besides grilling or smoking to add?

I was searching through older threads and ran across this. Very interesting and useful info. I am vending at a festival next weekend and I decided to add some corn into the mix of the "normal" BBQ stuff. I did a test run for my mom and she went nuts - said it was the best she had ever eaten. Now I don't know about that, but it was good. I husked and desilked the corn and put it directly on the grill. I let it cook on medium high heat for about 5 mins and then turned it. I brushed it with butter, garlic powder and some creole seasoning. Repeated the process 3 more times until I was satisfied it was done. I am going to try it again this weekend to make sure I can do it consistently.

I peel the husks and silk off and leave the "handle" and give a quick rinse with water... brush with melted butter and sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides, then on the grill at high.

Continue brushing with melted butter as you cook, turning frequently... add a bit more salt and pepper when done.

We had some during the week.. that my kids removed the husk thinking they were gonna go into the pot. I put 4 ears in some foil with a few chucks of butter, and a littel water. Wrapped the foil and sealed it tight, then wnet and forgot them on the grill for about an hour. flipped once.

When i got them i expected popcorn in the foil.. but the bottoms wwere slightly browned and the corn had a sugary glaze on the,, they were the sweetest I had all summer. kids asked for them done the same way the next night.

OMG...I LOVE corn!! Soak the ears in sugar water for an hour or two. THrow them on the smoker, unopened, for 1 1/2 hours. Husks and silk come off so easy and the corn is to die for!! I'm so hungry righ now. Mayber cause I'm all farked up!!

I have always been of the school of just leaving the husk intact. Roll around on grill til the outside is nice and black.
leaving the husk on retains a lot of moisture, and produces an ear loaded with flavor.
No need to wrap in foil, God made it with it's own wrapper.

Back