Blue Cheese and Bacon Burgers

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My cousin cooked some up today, he makes thin patties, maybe 3 or 4 ounces, places a small pile of crumbled blue cheese on the patty, tops with another patty and seals 'em up by crimping edges together. He grilled them up on his Weber, served with bacon and grilled onions on Ciabatta bread.

They were great. Got me thinking you could do all kinds of crazy stuff with ground meat.

I'm gonna try this with ground lamb, maybe stuff it with Feta & pine nuts. Or pork burgers with apples and celery & grilled onions. Maybe a Mexican burger, with roasted green chilis and jack cheese, serve 'em up with avocado and salsa. An Italian burger, maybe mix pork, beef & veal, and stuff it with roast garlic & peppers & melt some good mozarella and a slice of pancetta, sort of an Italian bacon cheese burger.

Sounds great! I saw something similar on Food Network yesterday. It also works with cheddar.

Sounds great, can't wait to try this. I will probably have to use Feta for the rest of the family.

Sounds pretty Flay to me. :twisted:

Not that there's anything wrong with that!:cool:

You can put bleu cheese right with the lamb, too.

Attachments

• features4_photo1.jpg
    features4_photo1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 481
Canned chipotles is adobo sauce and a little finely chopped onion mixed right in the burger. Good chit.

I've stuffed them with lots of different things - Mozzarella and Bacon (or Ham); Mushroom Sauce (can use any mushrooms); Peppers (can be stuffed) and Mozzarella (or other cheese); even Horseradish. Anything that isn't too mushy; compliments the beef (or other meat) and keeps it moist is great.

Chicken Burgers stuffed with Sage Stuffing or Turkey Burgers stuffed with Cranberry sauce and extra Cranberries are great alternatives for the ladies!! :tongue:

Just go with the classics, lamb+mint; pork+apple; etc etc

Though all these 'Cheese' burger ideas sound fine and I`m sure tasty, I`m kinda against any cheese on a well grilled burger. Takes too much away from the flavor of the beef of a well preped burger.

I like a mixture of bleu cheese, cheddar, green onion and worcestershire. Good stuff, Maynard. Cheddar and onions is nice sometimes, too.

Did this when I first started grilling. I have stuffed them with onions, till my son told me he hates onions. The cheese works so good. I never thought of the combinations you guys have mentioned, but I am wondering if it would work with Pork Chops. Chops with an apple stuffing of some kind.

Lotta good ideas in this thread. Think i'll start with the bleu cheese & bacon one. Thanks, Sami!

Samichlaus said:
I'm gonna try this with ground lamb, maybe stuff it with Feta & pine nuts. Or pork burgers with apples and celery & grilled onions. Maybe a Mexican burger, with roasted green chilis and jack cheese, serve 'em up with avocado and salsa. An Italian burger, maybe mix pork, beef & veal, and stuff it with roast garlic & peppers & melt some good mozarella and a slice of pancetta, sort of an Italian bacon cheese burger.

Try this:

1/2 lean Ground beef, 1/2 jimmy dean hot breakfast sausage, smoked/roasted onion mashed, and roasted garlic, some salt and red pepper (aka, cayenne), all mixed together.

grilled with a slice of bell pepper, a kosher dill pickle slice, and a piece or two of provolone or mozzarella cheese inside the burger. Just be careful flippin. its gonna get juicy...

good eats...

Man, some of these burgers sound like they could stop blood flowing through your veins on sight. Don't get me wrong, they sound awesome, but wow...

These ain't yer average ball-park burgers, dude. No one could eat this way every day and live to tell about it...

But it sure would be fun (and tasty!) trying...

I've done the stuffed burger thing, its great, but some of the stuffing leaks out.. so i stopped stuffing, and started spooning. :) Also, i like to cook them in the MOAB or BYC, in the hot spots. The come out a cool red color and are super juicy. Cookem a little higher temps than usual. Like offset roasting around 350 pretty close to the heat. The frozen 1/3 lbers from costco cook in about 30 minutes.

For the burgers, I mix some caremlized and chopped onion and garlic, worsey sauce and a rub of choice into the ground beef, then make 3/4 lb burgers and grill(or Q) them to med rare. EDIT: forgot to mention. Form the burger with raised sides on one side. Kind of like the way you would make a pizza. You want the edges to be higher so you can spoon stuff into it when they are done. The higher edges stops stuff from leaking out. Got this technique from Dirty Dick at the Jack in 2004. He submitted it in the "anything but" event.

While the burgers cook, sautee in butter on the sidecar ... mushrooms, onions, bacon(almost cooked) and chipotles. When the burges near done, Add a load of blue cheese or gorgonzola to the mix and stir it till the cheese begins melting but leaving some chunks.. the mixture should be pretty thick, somewhat gooey. If ya want, just to say ya had the veggies, throw in a few baby greens till they wilt.

Spoon that over the burger. Serve it on toasted garlic rolls. Oh man.. die and go to heaven after that.

smokeypig said:
Try this:

1/2 lean Ground beef, 1/2 jimmy dean hot breakfast sausage, smoked/roasted onion mashed, and roasted garlic, some salt and red pepper (aka, cayenne), all mixed together.

grilled with a slice of bell pepper, a kosher dill pickle slice, and a piece or two of provolone or mozzarella cheese inside the burger. Just be careful flippin. its gonna get juicy...

good eats...

This one gave me an idea to try mixing some chopped up fatty in with some chopped meat, plus maybe a jap or chipolte and onion or such mixed in as well. Ok, I missed lunch today, waiting on a friend coming down from Maine, of all places. Maybe he`ll have some fresh lobsters? Better get here soon if I keep reading this thread.

Today on the way home from work I stopped and picked up an onion, a pound of bacon, some hamburger, a tub of blue cheese, and a couple of big ole onion rolls. Thanks Sami!!!

Back