The sad truth about honing steels!

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been discussing honing steels with a mentor of mine, Dave Martell (www.japaneseknifesharpening.com). He's helping me understand how to create a proper edge for knives used for BBQ - and how to maintain those edges. He's really generous with his time and advice. In an email today he indicated that the typical steels that come with knife sets actually do damage to knives. He recommends using a ceramic "steel." He also suggests that we not use the "acrobatics" we often associate with chefs and their steels - but use a slower "slide" concentrating on the edge. I wrote up an article about this and you can find it here with some links if you are interested in more info:

http://slowfoodrebellion.blogspot.com

Do any of you use ceramic "steels"? Thoughts?

This could turn into one heck of a thread. :clap2: Everyone has a different opinion on what to do. but I agree with your friend, what you see on TV is not the way to go.

Someone once told me to hold the steel verticel, resting on the counter, handel at the top for those of us that don't want cut our hand off. :laugh: Then run the knife down on each side. This will help keep the proper angle.

I agree, CJ. I predict this post will have lots of information in it by the time it's said and done.

[Mod note: if you're a steel or ceramic hater, please don't let it show here!]

Monty, your blog post makes a lot of sense, but I'd be leery of using a ceramic hone every time I put a quick edge on a good blade. I know they remove some metal during use, and I'd like to think a steel does more realignment than removal, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

I like the diamond encrusted hone from chef's choice..works within a few strokes.

Monty, your blog post makes a lot of sense, but I'd be leery of using a ceramic hone every time I put a quick edge on a good blade. I know they remove some metal during use, and I'd like to think a steel does more realignment than removal, but maybe I'm kidding myself.

You are right there. I think the ceramic "steel" is = 1200 grit stone. I think I should have been more clear in the blog that the smooth butcher's steel with no grooves is also an excellent choice and gets the job done. So this shouldn't be a steel vs. ceramic argument - but rather a warning against using the wrong kind of steel. (I just edited the blog article to include the virtues of the butcher style steel hone)

I have an EdgePro Apex and follow the advice given by Ben Dale in the instructional video. This is mainly for the Wusthof Classic chef's knife that I use every day:

1. I use a smooth steel every day before use. (had to mail order it, couldn't find one at all at the kitchen supply stores). This will keep the edge happy for a while.
  2. If I feel I'm losing a bit of the edge, I'll run a few strokes on the ceramic that came with the EdgePro. Probably about every month or two.
  3. About once a year I'll touch up with the EdgePro.
steel.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I've been preaching this for sometime and often get drowned out by some guy whos dad was a butcher for 100 years. Here's to sharp cutlery!!

I have an EdgePro Apex and follow the advice given by Ben Dale in the instructional video. This is mainly for the Wusthof Classic chef's knife that I use every day:

1. I use a smooth steel every day before use. (had to mail order it, couldn't find one at all at the kitchen supply stores). This will keep the edge happy for a while.
  2. If I feel I'm losing a bit of the edge, I'll run a few strokes on the ceramic that came with the EdgePro. Probably about every month or two.

Here's the link to the EdgePro Apex system, for those who want to see what it's about (I did):
http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

steel.jpg

I use the EdgePro as well. A really great investment!

This could turn into one heck of a thread. :clap2: Everyone has a different opinion on what to do. but I agree with your friend, what you see on TV is not the way to go.

Someone once told me to hold the steel verticel, resting on the counter, handel at the top for those of us that don't want cut our hand off. :laugh: Then run the knife down on each side. This will help keep the proper angle.

That's the way I do it as well.

I like the diamond encrusted hone from chef's choice..works within a few strokes.

^^^^^
Ditto that! Love mine also!

Very good thread and blog though. I do use the method you describe, as I've always thought it was likely to be innacurate doing what the TV chefs do. Not enough control.

Great Thread!
Thanks.

I love to learn something new every day.

My wife bought me the spyderco system and it works really well.

I have a Spyderco that I like.
Good system.
But, I'm moving to an EdgePro.
Spyderco is for sale in the "General for Sale" section.

TIM

Good thread. That said one should use the method that gives them good results, just like our Q. Doesn't matter what others say about ones Q just as long as the cook and family like it.

OH, by the way I use an Edge Pro Apex also :heh::heh::heh:.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

Back