Replacing a 22” with a 26” without anyone noticing?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a 22” Expert Grill the wife bought me. It’s derelict and used for what most families think of barbecue chicken. You know, backyard don’t-know-what-you’re-doing so you cover the chicken in sauce and grill it. It looks like this:

832e8dec2feaa7d06b1a87f19a163d25.jpg

I was tasked to make enough chicken to feed a party of 8 and it took forever. I spent 90 minutes rotating and flipping that I got sunburned in the process. I need an upgrade.

My wife doesn’t pay enough attention to kettles and actually thought she got me a Weber. Even tells me to cook the chicken on my small Weber. So... anyone ever replaced a 22” with a 26” without anyone noticing?

Before anyone asks, my Ranch Kettle is still new to me to relegate it to backyard bbq duties. Maybe someday.

Ranch kettle is too new to use it what it was designed for?

OK

sure- buy your self a 26.

That was easy. :grin:

It looks quite a bit larger than the 22”. I think part of that is the height. That said, no reason not to try and see how it goes.

You will probably need a new grill by next year anyway. $39 Walmart grills don’t last more than a season or two. Based on the reviews, I’m surprised the legs didn’t break off yet. Just do it, she will never know!

What do you use the ranch kettle for????

I'm about to pull something similar with a sausage stuffer I just bought..."This? I've had this forever."

The "without anyone noticing" makes me chuckle a bit. Love how you slid "anyone" in the place of the: wife, love of my life, warden, minister of finance or other terms of endearment.

Let's take all the positives:

Your beater 22 is on it's last legs and it's not the end of grilling season by a long shot- you will need another... and maybe soon.

Be silly to spend good money on another 22 when the 26 makes so much more sense (not that the 22 does not have a spot) for larger cooks.

The real topper is- she wants you to be happy right?

Done- Bob's your uncle.

Yes Czar, drive back up and get the 26er I have listed.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Wait a second...

You have a ranch but won’t use it?

There’s gotta be some sort of law being broken here...

He obviously got the Ranch Kettle without the self cleaning function.... rookie mistake. j/k

The hardened, cooked on bbq sauce all of the grates and bowl does take away from the overall presentation...but it's sort of like if you took the action figure out of the packaging, you might as well play with it.

Me? I'd cook on the sucker. Grates and bowls clean up proper on the Webers.

I use it to smoke but not to grill sloppy sauce burning chicken.

If you just plan to make burnt backyard sloppy sauce chicken, stick with the $39 grill.

Burnt backyard sloppy sauce chicken grills are a bitch to clean so instead of cleaning it, you can just toss it and get a new one every year.

Whenever I think of burnt backyard sloppy sauce chicken I think of one for these old fashioned 1950s style bbq grills shown below. They are $14.99 from ace. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/86851

Use it until it’s dirty then toss it and get a new one.

I actually know people who do this for camping trips. They grill on one of these cheap grills all weekend and toss it in the trash when they are done.

Retire the, “backyard don’t-know-what-you’re-doing so you cover the chicken in sauce and grill it,” recipe and use the Ranch.

I use it to smoke but not to grill sloppy sauce burning chicken.

Holy ginormous pic Batman!!!

There’s still gotta be some sort of violation somewhere...

#seewhatimsayin

It's pretty damn big compared to a 22. Here's my 2 next to each other.

lyzI1Sp.jpg
The difference is really noticeable when side by side, but it's different when the 36 is by itself, especially at any distance. It's one of the reasons I see lots of posts on grill sites/fb of kettles with people asking "is this a 22 or a 26er?".

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Back