First Shot at Canadian Bacon w/ Pron

Abelman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have never tried CB before so I figured it was time to give it a shot. Got these guys on sale which was a good start:

NewandaDeal.jpg

I got them all trimmed up and ready for the brine. I used a wet brine that I got from a friend, Trav or Tip as some know him. I brined them for 6 days just to be on the safe side.

6daybrine.jpg

The test piece was great and not too salty so no need to soak it. I put on some jalapeno rub as well as CPB and got to smoking it. I used apple and cherry at 225. I was shooting for an internal if 165.

Rubbed-7.jpg

Finished2-1.jpg

Once done, I wrapped them and put them in the fridge for awhile so they could rest and would be easier to slice.

So, here's the result:

slicer.jpg

Sliced-13.jpg

I got about 5 and a half pounds of meat. Vacuum packed a lot of it and will give to friends as well as keeping some around for us.

This takes some time but it was easier than I thought it was. Thanks for looking.

What kind of slicer is that you're using?

Thanks, it's a Weston Slicer. I got it for $90, with a reatil price of $400+. They were getting rid of them for some reason. That's the 10" slicer, a lot of guys got the 12".

I got very lucky with that purchase :-D

looks good. I never take mine past 150 though. you are going to fry it up in skillet anyways.

looks good. I never take mine past 150 though. you are going to fry it up in skillet anyways.

I know what you're saying but since I did 165, it's good. We'll use it as sandwhich meat, etc. as it's already cooked.

That looks good! Did you get much heat from the jalapeno rub?

No, it's a pretty mild rub really. I got more from the CBP but it all melds together and tasted good. I had spices in the brine as well so there are a whole host of things going on taste wise.

I bought some Pork loin at costco this week and was going to try my first CB this weekend. Looks good

Looks delicious. I usually go 140 to 145 degrees for unfinished Canadian bacon, and 155 to 160 for it to be fully cooked.

Thanks all. We lightly fried up some of the bacon as well as some eggs. Threw on couple other fixings and dinner was served. The sriracha sauce was the deal sealer but I live on that stuff so that's not a secret.

McMuffin.jpg

Let me be the first to say...I'd hit that. (sorry, Bob) That looks great! N0, that looks farkin' awesome...

Freaking awesome!
What makes CB what it is? The brine? What kind of salt? How much salt to water ratio? 6 days ? Sorry,for all the questions.... So much to learn,So little time!
The knowledge in this website never ceases to amaze me!!!! Thanks,People!

Pete, that looks so gooood! Now I'm hungry. :-D

Back