• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket on Kamado Joe

Never seen fat that yellow before. Wish I had a few slices of briskie right now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358588517.811925.jpg

Not feeling good about this at all. Going to slice it in a couple of hours. Burnt ends didn't come out too well.

Ok, well I went to slice the brisket. I'm embarrassed to say, it was awful. I couldn't cut through the bark at all. Thing just feel apart like butter.

Horrible!!!!!!!!!! Worst experience bbqing ever!

You have to get right back in the saddle and try again. I think I can safely say we have all learned through the same unpleasant experiences. Better luck next time.

Sounds like you overcooked it man. Don't worry about it! It's happened to all of us. That meat will still make some good eating, brisky sammies for sure!

Hmmmm, I cook whole packers on my KJ and couldnt be happier. It seems a 13 pounder or close to it is the perfect size. I cook at 240-250 or close to it, until the brisket probes tender. Then I wrap it in foil, put it in a cooler and let it rest an hour or two. Unwrap, seperate the point from the flat and slice. It has been perfect everytime.

I dont do burnt ends, so no suggestion there. Try again.

If you tell us more about your cook and procedure you might get some help. From the pix I would just about bet your cooking to a Temp. Cut the wire off that farkin meat probe. When that probes slides in like a hot knife cutting soft butter it's done! The bark looks dry I noticed in the first pic that the brisket is almost void of a Fat Cap ( was it pre-trimed or sometimes called Super trim?) and the big chunk of hard fat was left on (left side of pic) that should be removed before cooking.
Try and get an untrimmed brisket remove the Big chunk of fat and thin the Cap to 1/4" as it renders it will bast the brisket keeping it moist and will turn into the "SugarCookie"

How to trim a brisket
DSCF0031Modified.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

Hard fat removed, Silver skin and fat cleaned up on under side of Flat
DSCF0035.jpg

What was trimmed off
DSCF0042.jpg

All cleaned up ready for the rub fat cap down Point to the left
DSCF0039.jpg

On the pit, notice no probe in the brisket
DSCF0043Modified.jpg

Back