Guinness Extra Stout vs. Draught

The Extra Stout and the Draught are two different creatures from the same mother... lol Well, usually the ES has a bit more alcohol and is also a bit more bitter and maltier, while personally the Draught is smoother, creamier and has more body (not necessarily more flavor). Thats it in a nutshell.

Cheers

It will be fine. Beer is Beer! Some you like. Some you don't. Take a taste. If you like it, use it.

It will be fine. Beer is Beer! Some you like. Some you don't. Take a taste. If you like it, use it.

blasphemy!! Try it both ways, and see which one you like the best. Guinness Stout almost always works better for cooking, especially if you "deglase the cook" with a draught at the same time.

The draught will work fine. The ES will taste a bit better. The difference in this case will be minimal.

There is a nitrogen charge in the draught. Either would work. There is another Guinness out now. Guinness Special Export Stout. 8% ABV. I don't know how it would work in your recipe, but it might be worth a try. If you can find it. :cool:

I use Shiner Bock.

Probably one of the best tasting Chuckies I have ever done was with Sam Adam's Octoberfest...

Pick a beer you like the taste of..

Thanks for all the great advise. I really don't drink the dark beers, I'm more of a Bud Light guy. You guys that drink it would know best. I appreciate all he help! It sounds like the extra stout has a better cooking taste?

Actually the Guinness we brew out here is Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I'm not too sure how it differs from the regular Extra Stout. I based my comment about on the F.E.S. not the E.S.

Cheers

The Guinness Extra Stout is the one to cook with. I cook my St. Paddy's corned beef and cabbage in it and every one loves it.

If you can find the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout that Phrasty mentioned you should try it also.

Guinness Extra Stout is around 5% ABV and the Foreign Stout is around 7.5% ABV, the draught is 4.3% ABV.

Guinness Special Export Stout, now available in the US, is the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout that Phrasty mentioned. From what I understand. :cool:

Back