BBQ Brethren "With a Surprise Inside" Throwdown

Here's my "money shot" for my entry...
BlanketPigs3.jpg

The whole thread is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89571

Not only is it an appetizer, it looks very appetizing as well (something many appetizers seem to lack). Nice presentation work too...

So, my wife wanted me to do something "healthy" this weekend. I did a brisket instead :heh:.

BUT since I didn't want to sleep on the sofa for the rest of the week, I decided to try a healthy take on a Fatty.

I diced up and sauteed some peppers, onion and garlic in a little EVOO and rolled it up in seasoned ground turkey breast.

Smoked it for a couple of hours next to the brisket and it turned out fairly decent.

After my wife tasted it, she said, "Huh. I like the peppers and stuff inside... I'm surprised!"

So, there you go - My entry for "....a surprise inside" throwdown:
Skinny001.jpg

Stuffed Smoked and Lightly Grilled Eggplant with Crablegs

The cook thread is here

Attachments

• thirteen.jpg
    thirteen.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 132
  • twelve.jpg
    twelve.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
  • fifteen.jpg
    fifteen.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 371
Gore, as I was concentrating on how to make my Po-Boy, I failed to keep up with this throwdown.

I have to say that that smoker is probably one that Sharon, BHSLH, will let me put in my arsenal without getting rid of one of the others.

My Big Fat Greek Cheese Wheel

For my Throwdown entry I present to you the Big Fat Greek Cheese Wheel. The complete thread can be found HERE.

First I made a 2 1/2 lb. 12" greek lamb burger with shallots, garlic, fresh thyme, rosemary, oregano, black pepper, and salt. I smoked it at 225F for 90 minutes with olive wood chunks.
CookedLambBurger.jpg

Next I cut a 1kg (2.2 lb) 12" brie wheel in half with dental floss.
CuttingBrieFloss.jpg

On top of the halved brie I added the lamb burger and smoked thin Bosc pear slices.
Pearsonhalfbrie.jpg

Briewheeltopbrieon.jpg

Next I wrapped all in a puff pastry, eggwashed, and put on a 400F grill indirect.
Briewheelcompleteraw.jpg

BrieWheelongrill.jpg

It came out beautifully golden brown and soft. It was melty, rich and smokey good. The lamb, cheese, and grilled fruit complemented each other perfectly. We served it with grilled apricots, grilled artichokes with lemon aioli, and grilled lemon and rosemary Greek potatoes.
BriewheelSideshot.jpg

Throwdown Shot.
Oncesliceout1201.jpg

FinalPlateSide.jpg

Last edited:
Between Rob and Larry I feel a Zero club membership coming on for my entry... Rob, I think you'll give Larry a run for his money with that entry. Fan-farking-tastic!

Between Rob and Larry I feel a Zero club membership coming on for my entry... Rob, I think you'll give Larry a run for his money with that entry. Fan-farking-tastic!

OK, but you're bunking next to Guerry. He snores.

Well, I saw Larry's entry and thought it'd be Zero's Club for everyone else... Then SmokeJumper chimed in. We have some SERIOUS talent here Brethren! No entry from me this week!:twitch:

I'm gonna watch the battle! :pop2::hungry:

Cheers!

Bill

Damn. Larry and Rob with their own little Bay Area Battle in this one.

It came out beautifully golden brown and soft. It was melty, rich and smokey good. The lamb, cheese, and grilled fruit complemented each other perfectly. We served it with grilled apricots, grilled artichokes with lemon aioli, and grilled lemon and rosemary Greek potatoes.
BriewheelSideshot.jpg

Throwdown Shot.
Oncesliceout1201.jpg

:shocked::shocked: OMG!!! :shocked::shocked:

:hail::hail::hail:

I should enter just for the zero.

That looks great also FattyMac I really need to go eat..

Wow Larry and SmokeJumper, those look awesome. It looks like all I really need to do is start cooking better food, presenting it better, and taking better pictures. Other than those minor details, I'm right there :wink:. Is it too late to withdraw my entry?

Is this absentee balloting or does a poll get set up?

SmokeJumper, that is absolutely awesome. Glad I didn't enter this one.

Is this absentee balloting or does a poll get set up?
Polls have gone up the Monday after the vote ends almost without fail since I've been paying attention. Chris hasn't been on site since Friday which is unusual indeed.

We will just have to be patient I suppose. Chris did say he was busy. I awlays thought that running the TD's was a pretty big effort.

Back