Chili- Beans vs No Beans

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
It’s a debate that evokes memories and emotions. Kind of like a 38 Special or Heart song. There are those events in life that are deeper than the spoon in the bowl. I love traditional Texas no bean chili, as well I love chili with beans in the pot. Most important to me is that it’s not sweet and has some heat. Bride brought home some takeout chili yesterday that was really good. It had beans. So I pondered most of the evening with the conflict in my soul of the Bean conundrum. To an extent, guilt. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Taco Soup with chili seasoning instead of the ranch dressing or taco meat seasoning usually found. There was not a hint of sweetness. Ground burger and smoked meat. Basic. While I Identify as Texan-I was born in Oklahoma. Beans in chili are legal there. Basic Taco Soup recipe or even a bland no sugar chili recipe with smoked meat- then kick that pot up with roasted green chili and smoked brisket . Amen

https://topsecretrecipes.com/wendys-chili-copycat-recipe.html

Last edited:
Looks great! Having spent a large portion of my adult life in Texas, I'm firmly in the "Add beans if you want 'em!" camp. Making hard rules for Chili of all things kind of goes against the fiercely independent Texas spirit, IMO. Many folks in East Texas still use beans, btw.

Here in the Carolinas, I make two kinds of chili. Chili with onions and beans for eating right out of the bowl and chili with no beans or onions and a little sweeter for burgers and hot dogs. That's my $0.02.

I make chili with no beans. I eat all chili - beans or no - happily.

When I have chili in a bowl, it has beans in it. The only way I eat it beanless is on top of something.
5d064a5b-6c57-4e12-b5f5-4264304a7638_1.4518edae72cb8169e06fd3ed96e03bca.jpeg

Notice the label. "Add beans to make great chili".:mrgreen:

One of the the advantages of living in a non BBQ area is that I have no rules here!!
I can add beans in my chili if I want. I can put Alabama white sauce on anything I want. I can even have NC style BBQ beef ribs if I want!
That being said, if I am making chili as a topping - no beans. If I'm making for game day or eating- beans

Ugh, I hate, hate, HATE, kidney beans with the burning passion of a thousand suns! So no beans for me (which is probably a good thing for my wife and me so I avoid giving her the late night Dutch Oven) :redface:

Ugh, I hate, hate, HATE, kidney beans with the burning passion of a thousand suns! So no beans for me (which is probably a good thing for my wife and me so I avoid giving her the late night Dutch Oven) :redface:

I grew up with chili with kidney beans. It's still better than none, but when I make it, I use black beans, pinto beans, or a mixture of both. Sometimes I find those bags of mixed beans, which make very good chili.

I make chili without beans, I'll eat chili with or without beans. What I don't care for is that abomination that they call chili in Cincinnati. Sorry, but a Greek flavored tomato/meat sauce served over spaghetti is not chili.

folks often confuse chili with the more traditional chili con carne.

chili con carne doesn't have beans or even sometimes tomatoes.

Back