Sausage question

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Would cushion meat be as good as a butt to make sausage?

Gotta add spices to mask the flavor is what Country told me.

If my sausage taste like Butt someone took too big a bite!

You can use just about any cut of pork for sausage, jutst a matter of how much more fat you have to add to make it "Good" sausage!

The real cushion meat is from a picnic and depending on how it's trimmed (amount of fat left) it should be just as good as butts for sausage.

On the other hand, some stores package scraps and call them cushion meat, so they could have come from about any part of the hog. You may have to add fat if this is the case.

These look about the size of a small nerf ball. Reason I ask is i Did not get my butts thawed and a store has cushion meat cheaper than butts. Would I do better just buying a butt. I want to limit the variables for first try.

These look about the size of a small nerf ball. Reason I ask is i Did not get my butts thawed and a store has cushion meat cheaper than butts. Would I do better just buying a butt. I want to limit the variables for first try.

IMG_0107.jpg

I'd go with the proven sucess of a butt for sausage. I grind them as-is and don't add extra fat. I also grind only once with the coarse plate, other folks like it double ground.

DSC07374b.jpg

Wayne, I have some Italian Hi Mountain mix. Was going to put in casings. It says to course grind, mix in, grind with small, refrigerate and then stuff. Any tips/ alternate suggestions?

Wayne, I have some Italian Hi Mountain mix. Was going to put in casings. It says to course grind, mix in, grind with small, refrigerate and then stuff. Any tips/ alternate suggestions?

Cube or cut meat into strips and chill them in the freezer before grinding. I sprinkle seasoning on the meat as it comes out of the grinder. Then mix it in some more later on. Try a sample after the first grind, you may like it.....if not try some with the double grind. This also gives you a chance to test and modify the seasonings too. I almost always add more fresh garlic to any recipe that calls for it. :biggrin: I let my seasonings blend several hours or overnight before stuffing. Be sure and add some water or beer for moisture.

DSC07257a.jpg

If you are using natural casings, rinse them well, then put them on your faucet one-at-a-time and play like you are making a water balloon because you need to rinse the inside too. Put them back in water and let them soak a couple of hours.

DSC07260a.jpg

Before you thread them on the tube, crank out a nub of sausage. This will make the casing almost thread itself.​

After grinding the longer you wait, the drier it gets, and the harder it will be to stuff. Just my $.02 from my experience.

IMG_0416.jpg

Is that a single grind in the stuffer? Stupid question, what do you use to tie the ends?

After grinding the longer you wait, the drier it gets, and the harder it will be to stuff. Just my $.02 from my experience.

Man, that's a nice set-up you have there.....

And you are right, and that's where the water comes in. One theory is that the salt causes the sausage to stiffen, some of my buddies wait and mix in salt (or salt & water) about an hour before stuffing.......

Is that a single grind in the stuffer? Stupid question, what do you use to tie the ends?

DSC07266a.jpg

Yes, all my sausage is single grind. I usually don't tie ends, but I did on that coil with just a granny knot in the casing cause I was giving it away. I do tie the ends on my rings and either leave the gut long for tying or lay some cooking string along side the gut and make a double-pass knot, like you would for fishing line so it won't slip.

Man, that's a nice set-up you have there.....

And you are right, and that's where the water comes in. One theory is that the salt causes the sausage to stiffen, some of my buddies wait and mix in salt (or salt & water) about an hour before stuffing.......

Thanks.

Here is the stuffer I made.

IMG_0387.jpg

With this I don't worry about adding water. Water = shrinkage.

Cheers,
Nate

It holds 55lbs. I'm getting ready to build another one. I think I might document my next build and sell my plans. With this stuffer I can keep up with the grinder and my arm doesn't get tired.

IMG_0394.jpg

Would cushion meat be as good as a butt to make sausage?

Sorry to steal your thread like this. Had a few beers tonight.

All we use for pork sausage is pork callies. Grind it once with a course grind. Only add salt pepper and garlic. Best fresh sausage ever. Oh, we also season before we grind. This helps mix the seasoning.

Cheers,
Nate

Back