rib membrane

It is not a big problem to pull it off, just an unnecessary extra step in my opinion, and apparently others. I suggest he make up his own mind, try not doing it the next time maybe even cutting a slab in half, one with one without. I don't do baby backs so maybe they are different, he did not say what kind of ribs he was doing if it even makes a difference. I like cruncy peanut butter, my wife likes creamy. :decision:
Dave
Even with what i posted, I totally agree with this. One of my favorite quotes, and one that has made a great difference in how I've lived my life, is from Gregory Batson - "What we mean by information — the elementary unit of information — is a difference which makes a difference". Try both. I just wanted to post what most of the people I'm aware of felt, that the texture of a retained membrane is QUITE unpleasant.

Like the above, work from the middle, and use paper towels for gripping. Usually only takes a couple minutes to do three racks.

I work from a corner with a paper towel, never tried the middle.
I will be next time tho, thanks guys!:yo:

I work from a corner with a paper towel, never tried the middle.
I will be next time tho, thanks guys!:yo:
The advantage is that that little flap one tries to grasp, working from a corner, is tiny. If one goes from the middle, one can enlarge what one is trying to grasp. Clumsy people like me need that advantage.

I have nothing helpful but has anyone ever seen Melissa Cookston remove a membrane from ribs? It's amazing. She pokes a stick thru the middle and kind of grabs it and whips it around and it's off.

I have nothing helpful but has anyone ever seen Melissa Cookston remove a membrane from ribs? It's amazing. She pokes a stick thru the middle and kind of grabs it and whips it around and it's off.
Watching women manipulate their world is my hobby. A woman's hands are amazing.

I wear latex gloves and it works well for gripping the membrane and pulling. I think it's easier than the paper towel method.

The back side of my boning knife is dull enough I can slip it in between one of the bones, usually the 2nd from the large end, and as long as I keep the dull end up I can get a pretty good handle to grab with a paper towel and off it comes. Takes some practice but I feel it's worth it in the end to not have that papery texture on the back of the bone while eating. I guess I'm just picky about it but I always notice it if its there and its a bit of a turn-off.

Back