Noob with first awful post

Welcome to the Brethren. It's sad that you have all that great Weber equipment and can't use half of it. I hope things go well with the mini. I find mine to be one of my most versatile cookers.

As far as the butt, I think it was too small. That gives it a lot more surface relative to weight which could make it dry out easier. Get a bigger one next time. (And turn down the tunes in the wee hours. :tape: )

Welcome to the Brethren. It's sad that you have all that great Weber equipment and can't use half of it. I hope things go well with the mini. I find mine to be one of my most versatile cookers.

As far as the butt, I think it was too small. That gives it a lot more surface relative to weight which could make it dry out easier. Get a bigger one next time. (And turn down the tunes in the wee hours. :tape: )

That's actually super helpful - thanks! I'll try a bigger one next time. The one I got looked a lot like a thick ribeye - maybe 2.5" in height and flat as a pancake. The NG line hooked up as a charcoal burner is also a great idea, but alas, my POS condo doesn't even have one. Wouldn't use it if it did though. I'm thinking I'll drag everything to the damn pool area if I have to. The fiance and I are only renting so this is only temporary, but no practice and I can't be ready for next year's comps!

Do you think I should write them a letter back stating that others have 40lb propane tanks and awesome hasty bakes, or should I just cite that I'm in compliance with their stupid rules and also those of the south metro fire authority -- or both? I always place the chimeny and charcoal grills and smoker 10+ feet away from any combustible structures and the patio is concrete with brick walls and a sprinkler system - per the fire dept. I wish this was the first time, but last apartment complex we were in called the fire dept repeatedly causing me to sell an 18.5" kettle...

Maybe I just smoke stuff after dark or something...I don't know..pretty frustrated.

I vote for a new neighborhood filled with folks who know how to preciate cookin. Besides that sour note I extend my greetings. Here you will find the answer to most everything you need to know about smoking.

Damn. I was guessing Highland's Ranch. Didn't know GV was that Nazi.

Howdy. I'm down in Parker. There is a comp down here Labor Day weekend. I'm trying to screw my courage up to enter it, so if you want a comp you know you're safe from coming in last..... I'll have that covered. Plus, it's closer than South Park.

Cheers and welcome,

Howard.

Welcome dude, these people are helpful and all that. I've stepped outta line a few times. they just point me right and we smoke on. I intentionally live in a neighborhood with no HOA... Maybe move, LOL.... But if it's your calling... You might consider it. I would. 4 words man, INSTANT READ MEAT THERMOMETER. And the road map, should have you lookin' like a pro in short order.

Do you think I should write them a letter back stating that others have 40lb propane tanks and awesome hasty bakes, or should I just cite that I'm in compliance with their stupid rules and also those of the south metro fire authority -- or both? I always place the chimeny and charcoal grills and smoker 10+ feet away from any combustible structures and the patio is concrete with brick walls and a sprinkler system - per the fire dept. I wish this was the first time, but last apartment complex we were in called the fire dept repeatedly causing me to sell an 18.5" kettle...
I have no idea. The first thing that comes to mind is a propane fired smoker. It seems like that is tolerated, if not strictly legal. (Legality may depend on their specific wording. Propane is actually extracted from natural gas and crude oil.)

We were at the beach a couple weekends ago and the folks upwind of us were grilling on a pretty smoky fire so I can see why a rule like this came into effect. If charcoal is allowed by the pool, perhaps that is a useful option.

You cooked a 2-3 lb butt for nearly 12 hours at 225? I think that might have been your problem.

You will need to nail some things down, starting with the temperature inside your pit. Once you know that is correct, nail down the temperature readings from the probe.

A guideline for pork butt is 1.5 hours per pound @225. It shortens the higher the temp of your pit. That butt shouldn't have gone on longer than 4, maybe 5 hours.

To Beast - I've got all the thermometers - maverick et732 and thermaworks $20 instant read. I've tried calibrating the latter in an ice bath, but not sure I'm doing it right. The elevation here makes it too hard to get an accurate boiling water test.

Update: Did baby backs last night, and just as I was dumping the coals to start the cook, the HOA narc showed up and told me she was going to report me again :clap2:. I guess I'll go to the meeting here in a couple days and plead my case.....gawd I hate this place and can't wait to move....if I would have thought more about my screen name I would've gone with PatioPariah :roll::mmph:

Any way to change this Mr. mod(s)???

Is there any way you can make your patio more private? Get room separation walls or something. They can't charge you with what they can't see. One reason while I bought a house instead of a condo, no HOA fees and nonsense

Smoking on the first floor?

images

There's your problem!

I know...I'm a bad person...

The friggen landscapers clipped the bushes in front, so the best I can do is to try to hide the mini behind the gasser.....and clearly this hasn't worked :cry:

Welcome Beck! So much to learn and try here from the Brethren.

I thought Colorado legalized smoking recently? Seems a little hypocritical of the Man to come down on you. You ain't hurtin nobody ;-)

Beck, many people have that problem down here. That's how I got my Performer for cheap. The HOA's in all the gated communities down here do not allow charcoal! They will allow propane, with a cooking area less than 100 sq. in. but no charcoal. I guess the smell of the smoke is somehow offensive to their more refined noses. Another reason why I can't live in one of their communities.

That's crazy. When I fire mine up the neighbors come looking for samples. I live in an apartment with 4' between the building and sidewalk where I have semi-permanently parked my 275 gal offset and a pile of wood :-D I was actually very surprised that the landlord said "that's a nice smoker" instead of "get that thing the ___ outa' here!" I hope you have better luck in the future. Maybe if you feed them some great BBQ they'll be more lenient. Maybe cook for an HOA meeting sometime? Sometimes all you can do is kiss some butts to get what you want. So why not kiss some butts with some pork butts!

That's not a bad idea - we'll see how it all plays out during the next meeting...although I'm not too optimistic

Posting your crime on the internetty proves you are one whacked whackadoodle and you fit right in!!:laugh:

That sucks man. I'd post about how stupid HOA's are, but you clearly realize that now

Back