Strange Pork Belly

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last week picked up 10 pounds of pork belly to make some bacon. I bought them at Whole Foods...AKA Whole Paycheck at $6 a pound. I got them home and was rather disappointed....they are very thin, less that 1 inch and I really don't see any fat in these at all. They are in the cure and hope they turn out alright but how do you get a pork belly with no fat...and bacon with no fat....hmmm

Attachments

• Belly.jpg
    Belly.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 174
First mistake: paying $6lb for pork belly.
Second mistake: doing it at Whole Paycheck.
Third mistake: assuming that an establishment that prides itself on organic products would sell meat with fat in it :shocked:.

The best source I have here is a Asian grocery chain called Ranch 99. Bellies are no more than 3.49 per pound there.

I hope the cook turns out well. You might try making friends with a local pig farmer to get better bellies.

looks to me like you got the end cuts... they can be good, but you find a lot more inconsistencies in the meat/fat ratio...

Best advice given above, find an asian/hispanic market near you and buy from them, usually way cheaper and usually have many to choose from.

I get mine from an Asian market.

$2.49 lb

they are in nice 2 or so pound cuts, fresh wrapped in saran wrap, so you can easily inspect them and they are easy to handle

I got a pork belly from Whole Foods last year, it was 99% fat. Very disappointing.

I've had good luck with the bellies from my local Whole Foods. Usually around $3.50/lb which for around here is a decent price. I always ask them to just give me a whole belly still in the cryovac.

Back