• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisket (pron) - Updated at 4 hrs 30 mins of cook

Bob I hope your enjoying yours right now. We had to shorten up the sitting time because our kids were close to meltdown. It was still a VERY good piece of meat. Letting is sit longer would've definitely made it better though. I could actually taste a difference between the first bites and the last bites as I ate.

We also had to abort the burnt ends. We have to work tomorrow, and there won't be much time for required cleaning before work starts, so we need to get some rest and get the smoker cold so the water pan can be cleans and charcoal remnants cleared out. Overall, it was very good, and pretty juicy.

I hope y'all enjoyed the pics, I know I enjoyed eating what you're looking at!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Oh yeah, the Byron's Butt Rub in the background was going to get used on the burnt ends. It wasn't used for the main cook at all.

You really nailed it! Not only is the smoke ring nice, but the bark is beautiful, and the meat on the slices looks perfectly cooked. Thumbs up dude.

That looks great! Now I want to do another brisket... That is an awesome smoke ring too. I still have not gotten a really good smoke ring yet.

I'm really surprised you went through so much coal, even with opening the door a lot. I did a couple of pork butts last weekend and got a full 12 hours out of one load of coal, and I put too much in because it was still going strong when I pulled the butts. Very interesting...

That's the most amazing smoke ring I've ever seen (from the pictures I've seen).
My first brisket came out fantastic. ALthough I have zero smoke ring. :confused:
As was said earlier, I think I got ripped off too. I paid $28 for a 6.2# piece. What was yours, $21 for 8#? Wow. Plus, I tossed about a third of it away as fat (maybe that's where my smoke ring went?)

Anyway, nice job man!

Bob

Thanks everyone! I'm glad my first showing didn't disappoint!

Tom72 - I'm still a little confused about the charcoal consumption too. The only thing I can figure is that I'm wasting a LOT of energy bringing the smoker up to temp. I've done 2 cooks and both times I've used a propane torch to lite 2 opposite corners of the basket, let is sit until there's an area about the size of a softball going at both ends, then put the basket in and add (HOT) water to the pan but leave the diverter out until it's up to temp. I think that a lot of energy is going into heating the cold space of the cooking chamber slowly around the water. On my next cook I'm going to try putting the charcoal in and leaving the water tray out for a few minutes to see if it'll heat the chamber more efficiently. When I started this cook it was 8am, and the smoker had been sitting in the cool night air (relatively cool - it is summer in Georgia after all) all night long. The smoker hadn't been out warming in the sun or anything. I'm also going to get to work on modding the basket to hold some more charcoal. You can definitely pile on the briquettes and make it work, but I do enjoy my lump and have about 10 bags to burn. I also enjoy not having to clean up enough charcoal ash that it could be measured in pounds. By the end of the cook, the ash had nearly choked out the bottom of the basket.

Bob - I'm not thrilled about the amount of fat that I have to pay for either. Everything I've seen indicates that if you buy the flat by itself you pay double by the pound compared to the packer. It looks like the butchers basically consider the fat and point to be wasted weight. I'm fairly ok with that considering that fatcap does help protect the underside of the flat, and I'm sure those burnt ends would've been good too if I had the time to cook them. Check out Wal-Mart for your next packer. I hate to say that; I've definitely been one to bad-mouth their meat in the past, but this packer was pretty nice. The local grocery (Kroger) only had 1 full packer. The price was within 10 cents per pound to Wal-Mart's, but it didn't look too nice. Wal-Mart had about 12 packers ranging from 7 lbs to 17 lbs, and they all looked pretty well cut.

I'm not sure how I got the smoke ring. I was pretty happy with myself on that one too. All I know is that I set the packer out first thing, lit the charcoal, seasoned the packer, and let it sit until the smoker came up to temp. All in all it was out for about an hour before it hit the smoker. There was still a little bit of white smoke when I put the packer on, but most of it had settled way down at that point. I had about 4 chunks of apple wood in the basket to start as well.

Again, thanks everyone for the remarks!

I've done 2 cooks and both times I've used a propane torch to lite 2 opposite corners of the basket, let is sit until there's an area about the size of a softball going at both ends, then put the basket in and add (HOT) water to the pan but leave the diverter out until it's up to temp.

Next time try lighting just one corner. I would also consider getting a DigiQ to manage the temp.

I'd be happy with the fat cap being part of the price, because it's beneficial to the process. But in the case of my piece, it was mostly the fat inside the hunk that I threw away. I just ran across the tutorial here (and 'bumped it'). But now that I've seen that, I now know the piece of meat that I bought was the area where the point and flat converge. So my piece what cut in two by the line of fat that run between them.

I did get mine at Walmart, and it was the only thing they had in the way of Briskets.
Next time, I'll be a choosier shopper.
(But it was yummy, so I"m not complaining too much) ;)

Bob

Some folks use a weed burner to preheat the cooker so they use less charcoal at the start up.:cool:

Thanks everyone! I'm glad my first showing didn't disappoint!

Tom72 - I'm still a little confused about the charcoal consumption too. The only thing I can figure is that I'm wasting a LOT of energy bringing the smoker up to temp. I've done 2 cooks and both times I've used a propane torch to lite 2 opposite corners of the basket, let is sit until there's an area about the size of a softball going at both ends, then put the basket in and add (HOT) water to the pan but leave the diverter out until it's up to temp. I think that a lot of energy is going into heating the cold space of the cooking chamber slowly around the water. On my next cook I'm going to try putting the charcoal in and leaving the water tray out for a few minutes to see if it'll heat the chamber more efficiently. When I started this cook it was 8am, and the smoker had been sitting in the cool night air (relatively cool - it is summer in Georgia after all) all night long. The smoker hadn't been out warming in the sun or anything. I'm also going to get to work on modding the basket to hold some more charcoal. You can definitely pile on the briquettes and make it work, but I do enjoy my lump and have about 10 bags to burn. I also enjoy not having to clean up enough charcoal ash that it could be measured in pounds. By the end of the cook, the ash had nearly choked out the bottom of the basket.

I don't know if this will help you or not....this is just what I do. I have the water pan filled with lava rocks and balled up foil all the time. I cover the top of it with new heavy duty foil before each cook. I don't like to use water throughout the entire cook; I put in a foil pan with water when I get to where I feel I'm past the halfway point.

I leave the heat diverter in when I start, and I light the front right corner...probably about the size of two softballs. It usually takes me about 35-45 minutes to get to temp, and then I throw the meat on.

I typically will fill the charcoal box, but not to overflowing. I usually don't have to add any more until the 10-12 hour mark. I just have to shake the charcoal tray after five hours or so to get the ash to fall to the bottom and not choke out the coals. I definitely don't have everything figured out, but I hope that helps some...

Of course, you have to consider, I live in Phoenix, so I'm pretty close to smoking temps before I even light anything! :mrgreen:

Back