Ideal Brisket Weight For Competition

What weight brisket do you prefer to cook for a contest?

• Under 10lbs

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 10lbs - 12lbs

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • 12lbs - 14lbs

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • 14lbs-17lbs

Votes: 47 38.5%
  • 17lbs +

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I don't care, I'll cook any size.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For you and your cooking style, what is the preferred weight you look for in a brisket for competition?

Use the poll for your answer and feel free to elaborate as a response to the thread.

I have heard many different answers to this, so just curious where the Brethren shake out.

14-15 lbs works for our cookers. It really depends on how your rig cooks. No real answer here bro.

14-17 is preferable be it American waygu, prime or CAB. Weight is important and I like good marbling througout , nice point and thicker flat.

I bought a 14.5 lb CAB last Thursday and I think I got more meat off of it versus the 18.5 lb CAB I bought in early Feb. I think I trimmed close to 5 lbs of fat off of the 18 lb versus about 3 off of the 14 lb.

There is noticeably more fat on them right now than a year ago, IMO.

I have had much better results since switching to flats. I usually find the best looking one, which usually runs around the 6 lb range give or take a little.

We have just recently switched to cooking flats, with good results. Not sure what we will do for the Sam's club contest, but we will have it nailed down in the next month. But so far the flats are giving us great results in our practice cooks and "family eating" cooks.

I bought a 14.5 lb CAB last Thursday and I think I got more meat off of it versus the 18.5 lb CAB I bought in early Feb. I think I trimmed close to 5 lbs of fat off of the 18 lb versus about 3 off of the 14 lb.

There is noticeably more fat on them right now than a year ago, IMO.

Interesting. I had been using SRF briskets and the last time I trimmed one it was 15.5 pounds and I pulled a few ounces shy of 4 pounds off of it. 25% of that $85 brisket went in the trash. Another source I tried for briskets weighed 13-14 #'s but I only took off about a pound of fat once trimmed. The one thing I should have checked but didn't is the thickness of the flat.

Back