UDS build questions!

C

cjallen85

1. I am thinking about using two inch exhaust pipe for exhaust with baffles? Has any one seen this or use it? Making sure its not a proven bad idea. Thinking of putting 2 on it.
2. What are some general dim. of fire ring for smoker?
3. How far are both racks down from top of barrel?

Thanks for any help!

My basket is 17X12.
You only need 1 2" hole in the lid for your exhaust.
I only run 1 rack in mine and it's 7" from the top of the drum

If you are using 3 3/4 inch intakes, then you only need one 2 inch exhaust.
Most use the 15 inch fire grill from a 221/2 inch webber for the fire basket, and use expanded metal from 8 to 12 inches high, and make sure it has about 3 inches of clearance from the bottom of the drum.

The lowest grate should be approximately 24 inches from the BOTTOM of the fire basket. If you are using a webber lid for it you can mount another grate above that. It usually comes out to be about 6 or 7 inches from the top lip of the barrel.

That is the tried and true design that works great. Some have modified this design, but for your first one I would recommend the above design.

I don mean to be smart but you really should read the mother of all uds building threads in it's entirety. I was glad I did before building and it gave me some ideas that I used in the build. Good luck.

I don mean to be smart but you really should read the mother of all uds building threads in it's entirety. I was glad I did before building and it gave me some ideas that I used in the build. Good luck.
I agree with Captain Dave. There is all the information and then some on building a UDS in the UDS build thread. I've been away for a while but if I remember correctly I think there is even a thread dedicated to pictures of other Brethren builds. The pictures represent the very basic to show models and anything in between. Good luck on your build. :becky:

Main thing that I can say about reading the UDS thread is to take notes. Your mind can only absorb so much info, so if you see an idea that interests you write it down. Then, you can refer back to your notes. Some ideas might get discarded for various reasons; but, you will have many ideas to guide your build. Worked great for me. :grin:

Back