• Smoked & Braised Lamb Shank... (pr0n heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Riiight, So I've been wanting to do this for a while! Finally got the chance! It was beyond good! And it all started yesterday... Kinda like this... :becky:

First we started out with a pretty nice New Zealand lamb shank:
142bbcd3.jpg

Took the usual suspects and beat em up in a mortar & pestle. Rosemary, garlic, scotchie, kosher salt & a bit of my beef rub.
d5d23a8c.jpg

12e38b13.jpg

Rubbed the meat & left it in the fridge overnight:
ee1d4c60.jpg

Plopped it on the smoker tonight with almond wood for smoke:
fea3e581.jpg

0148a851.jpg

b4935f72.jpg

Got out some herbs & veggies::wink::wink::wink:
a77ede4d.jpg

Cut those farkers up:
1401dc14.jpg

Added a little red wine, salt, pepper & half beef stock/half chicken stock:
2f12f816.jpg

Placed lamb on veggies when IT temp hit 160˚, covered tightly with foil and placed over the corner of the fire for another 45 mins:
4193eed9.jpg

8bed586e.jpg

Added a TB of Gravy mix to thicken it up a bit... (Don't knock it til 2 try it) :thumb: and placed back over the fire for another 10 mins to thicken up a bit:
ce97aad3.jpg

...and this is what I ended up with:
ecf72f8b.jpg

bd7e16f1.jpg

72bb4e5c.jpg

Plated:
8163942b.jpg

Devoured!
bb002ba8.jpg

27f82c5d.jpg

I think I'm full for the next 2 days Guys!!! But OH MY it was good! Definitely writing this one down in the book!! :wink:

Thanks for looking!!! :thumb:

Cheers.

Last edited:
So thats where al the good N.Z lamb shanks go. They used to be as cheap as chips but now that they have been shared with the world we have to fight for them with everyone.

Phrasty dude... how much a pound/kg did you pay for it?

Muzza.

Man.. just had another drool session.. that is a rear leg shank as well.. No wonder it is so darned meaty.. They are even harder to find, in fact they is rare as unicorns wee over here.
And yes that gravy mix sure is tops for a sauce, we got Bisto instant gravy over here but it is made locally and is not as nice as the British stuff.

Wow that looks fantastic. My brother-in-law just gave me two lamb shanks from when he butchered and i had no idea on how i wanted to prepare them. NOW i do. Thanks again for an awesome pRon post

Me and Guerry have GOT to try that! I love your veggies too...I see that you used rosemary and thyme, what other herbs did you use? And what is that green, short pepper looking thingy?

So thats where al the good N.Z lamb shanks go. They used to be as cheap as chips but now that they have been shared with the world we have to fight for them with everyone.

Phrasty dude... how much a pound/kg did you pay for it?

Muzza.

Thanks Murray! We get quite a bit of NZ Lamb. It's not all that cheap but it was about $7/lb for this... it was a 3 pack of them so I have 2 more left. :thumb: and it IS rear shanks. Sounds like you're fighting a losing battle. :wink::wink:

What?!? It's all gone?!? Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

All...........GONE! Was good while it lasted though!! Damn Good actually! :heh::heh:

Me and Guerry have GOT to try that! I love your veggies too...I see that you used rosemary and thyme, what other herbs did you use? And what is that green, short pepper looking thingy?

Thanks Red! The herbs are mint, rosemary, thyme and thats a scotch bonnet you're asking about. :thumb:

Hi Phrasty..

Dang, I don't know how I missewd this one for a day or two... I must be going nuts!

ANYWAY............

ALFTickofApproval.gif

What can I say mate.... that's the best farkin shank I've EVER farkin seen! I'm a bit dodgy about the gravy, but given the rest of it, and you... da man smokin it, I believe you... I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and KEEP ON SMOKIN THAT LAMB!

Cheers!

Bill

Back