Hosting A BBQ Comp

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been talking with some friends the last few weeks, and we're going to put together a Rib Cook Off. My question, what all do I need to play for to really make this a smooth event?

I have a location. I know I'll need start times and turn in times. I'll need judges ... ??

Thanks in advance

I have looked into this in Jersey. You would need possibly city county and state permits, vending permits, porta potties. That is just to name a few. Thats when I decided that just competing would be easier for me.

Can you provide us with a lot more information?

Is this event open to the public?
Will there be vendors for the public?
Is this a people's choice event?
Do you already have teams lined up?
What amenities does the venue provide?
Who is supplying the ribs?
How long do you have the venue for?
What type of cookers are you allowing?
Is this a charity event?

If we know more about what you are planning, we'll be able to offer some suggestions.

Eric

Funny, my bbq buddies and I were talking about hosting a bbq comp as a charity fundraiser.

We came up with:

Permits
Insurance
Prizes
Porta Johns
Power
Water
Judges
Advertising
Sanctioned or not?
Open to public
Peoples choice sampling
Allow vending? If so would we use some sort of pig bucks?
Security
Entrance fees for teams and public

I have a friend that owns a local bar and he's agreed to let us set up in his parking lot. He'd open up so we'd have toilets and all that good stuff.

This isn't an "official" competition. More of a for fun friendly get together, but I'm wanting to make it run as official and smooth as possible.

Reach out to your local BBQ organization
Many have some type of "backyarder" event
These are great for new cooks

I've been talking with some friends the last few weeks, and we're going to put together a Rib Cook Off. My question, what all do I need to play for to really make this a smooth event?

I have a location. I know I'll need start times and turn in times. I'll need judges ... ??

Thanks in advance

The Southern Hotwing Festival http://southernhotwingfestival.com/ in Memphis got started just like this. When it started 9 years ago, it was just a few teams (7 I believe) in the parking lot of a bar, the Poplar Lounge. In a matter of a couple years it outgrew its location, and has moved to South Main Street, a very touristy and busy part of downtown Memphis. It is now a major festival for people in Memphis, people flock downtown to go to it. And it all started with 2 guys, a dream, and a parking lot at a bar.

It has since become a fundraiser for Ronald McDonald House with 47 teams competing last year, raising over $25,000 in 2011 for the cause. Check out their page for some ideas, I bet the guys that started it would be more than willing to chat with ya.

If it is just for friends and family – you could use this thing I created for a similar event…

Rating scale in easy to understand terms

1 - is only given in a DQ situation
2 - absolutely inedible – you hand it to the dog
3 - edible
4 - from a tv dinner
5 - you get at a chain restaurant
6 - good restaurant food
7 - you would want to call your buddies over to try
8 - to call your wife/husband about / blog about
9 – You would trade your wife/husband in for this – this is amazing!

IN DIFFERENT TERMS

4 – Horrible, Inedible, Gives you that little shutter when you know something is wrong
5 – Bland, Unappetizing, My 5 year old could do better
6 – OK, Something off about the flavor blend, you feel yourself get a confused look when its presented
7 - Not great but GOOD, Flavors blend well, gives you a happy feeling, MAKES YOU SMILE
8 – Great!, Makes you close your eyes and savor the happiness, beautiful appearance.
9 – Amazing, Breathtaking, Awe Inspiring, Makes me Salivate looking at it, you dream about things this good – This is THE PERFECT TURN IN

=============================================================
TASTE Taste, above all else is the most important factor. The taste should consist of the combination of the meat, spices, sauce etc, with no particular ingredient being dominant, but rather a blend of the flavors.
CONSISTENCY/TENDERNESS - Ribs must have a good texture. It should not be dry, grainy, mushy, or greasy.
AROMA Ribs should smell good. This also indicates what is in store when you taste it.
APPEARANCE Ribs should look appetizing.
OVERALL IMPRESSION is the way that everything blends together to create the entire dish.
Each contestant must turn in a minimum of six pieces of competition rib prepared in one 9x9 styro container which will be submitted for judging.
Garnish is not allowed. Only the turn in can be in the box, if other meat/objects are present the entry will be disqualified.
Each contestant will be assigned a contestant’s number by the Chief Scorekeeper and given an official judging container. Each contestant should verify that the number on the bottom of their container is the same as their assigned contestant number. Each contestant is responsible to deliver their container to the judging area at the official time for judging.
There is a five minute window for rib turn-ins. Five minutes before turn-in time to five minutes after turn-in time (example turn in is at 11:45am turn-in time is 11:40am-11:50am) at 11:50 and 1 sec the turn-in is late and will not be accepted.
Judges will be told that they should vote for the ribs, on an individual case by case basis, not comparing one to the other. Judges should be instructed to use the scale at the top of the page as a guide.
NAME -
ENTRY NUMBER -
CATEGORY
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE
SCORE