BBQ Brethren "La Guerre de Pommes de Terre (Battle Potato)" Throwdown!

This should be interesting...

Why do I have a feeling I had something to do with this some how? :confused:

I don't want to disappoint you, seeing as how you been all crabby lately :becky:, but no. At least not in my thought process. Guerry and I looked at the list of original 10 throwdowns and picked out a couple that would be interesting and decided from there.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the timing of the beginning of this Throwdown or not...but I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should separate my red potatoes from the russet potatoes. I don't think they are getting along with each other.

Breaking news!!!

We now interrupt your regularly scheduled programming with this breaking news announcement from NPNN, the New Potato News Network, bringing you newer potato news than any other potato news network!

We have just received word that Red Potato and Russet Potato forces are engaged in a major battle somewhere in Overland Park, Kansas.

We have no details at this time about what triggered this clash, or how many potatoes are involved. In fact, since shortly after the potato units reported the engagement, there have been virtually no further communications at all!

Wait....I am being told that an elderly woman did recieve a letter from her grandspud who has been in this battle since the beginning. In fact, we have the text of this letter in our studio now. Can we get that up on the screen? Anyone? Can we get this on screen? ...and here we are!

This is a letter sent by a brave young potato to his grandma earlier today. I am told he is with the Red potato forces. Here is the text of the letter:

Dear Grandma,

I hope everything is the same at home in the potato fields as it has always been. I hope the squirrels aren't scratching around looking for nuts too much.

Nothing is the same here in this God-foresaken war zone, in this hell. Someone once said that the road to potato hell is loaded with cheese and bacon and stuff. That's what this place is allright. It is hell, and it is stuffed full of it!

Well, here I am, anonymous all right. With a bunch of tubers nobody really cares about. They come from the end of the potato row, most of 'em. Small fries with names you probably never even heard of: Burbank, Yukon, Rooster, Pink Eye, Fingerling (don't ask). They're all green, most of 'em. Two years' high school is about it, maybe if they're lucky a pretty little Julienne waiting for them back in a cool dark cellar, but most of 'em got nothing. They're cheap really, they're nourishing, yet they're fighting for our skins. It's weird, isn't it? They're the bottom of the plant and they know it. Maybe that's why they call themselves "spuds", cause a spud can take it, can take anything! They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma. The heart & soul.

Love always,
Red Norland

Wow! I'm flooded with emotion here...I just don't know what to say after such poignant words from such a brave spud! We thank all of...

...Wait a minute folks...I am being told that satellite photos of the area seem to indicate that the fighting has apparently ceased, but we are still not receiving any word from either the Red or the Russet forces.

...hold on...I am being told we are now receiving a communication from someone identifying himself only as Mr. Big Bite...no...Bigger Bite...no, well, it doesn't matter what his name is. At this time he is the only communication we are receiv...

OK, I'm told we are now going to feed you a detailed account of this battle, which is being told by this Mr. Bite fellow. Let's take a look.

Any minute now...

The feed should start shortly, our staff is working furiously to patch us in...

Just be patient...

OK, due to technical difficulties, we will just provide you this link detailing the account from Mr. Bite. We are also posting a photo from this account showing what appears to be both sides facing off at the start of the battle.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1479952
DSC00114.jpg

Last edited:
"Red" potatoes. Do you think that's a hint they're communist sympathizers or what?

And now I see they're combining forces with Polish sausages. I fear this could signal a possible cold war relapse.

Every time potatoes or roots come up, I want potato skins. It's what I want, but figure everyone else is going to make some. Well, I decided to make them this time and subject the family to some potato skins. I began by baking potatoes in the Oval:

IMG_0371.jpg

After about 2 hours at 300*, I took these off, and hollowed out "the filler." I put them back on with some bacon:

IMG_0377.jpg

I then began stuffing them. Personally, I like a helping of pulled pork in them

IMG_0379.jpg

I then used sharp cheddar and topped with sour cream, pimento, bacon, and green onion:

IMG_0403.jpg

Last edited:
This will be a fun one Already has take off. Ron I think that is an appropriate sie for Mr. Bite to visit. There should be a lot of Eyes on this
Gore that is outrageous

Gore, great looking skins. I might have to try some version of those this weekend.

Bigabyte - both red and white look good to me. That whole meal works for me.

Gore those skins looks so good I'll bet there isn't a kid in America that would turn them down... :twisted:

Great job...

Back