Can I deep fry ribs?

C

chillcoolcold

I wanna try deep frying some baby backs. The recipes I've read fry for 15 or so min. Seems like they would be tough. Mabey I should smoke them for awhile first? Anyone?

Heck yeah! You can deep fry anything. You may want to try smoking them until done, let them cool down, and then slice them. Then, either dipping them in a great batter or wrapping them with Phyllo dough and then freezing them before deep frying. Freezing them first will give time for the dough to brown up and get crispy before drying out the ribs when you are frying them.

Last edited:
Deep fried pork ribs is a Puerto Rican specialty, I get them at a famous PR restaurant here in town. Drizzled with garlic and olive oil they are wonderful and sinfully delicious.

Not sure about smokeing them first but, why not?

I would do it and then make some yellow rice and beans to go with it.

Honestly... sincerely... if I could do anything... and I was just about to do it... I would make a FRIED BBQ RIB shack on wheels. No one could touch me!

I read about the best rib Mike Mills (the Legend) and many time winner of the coveted World Grand Champion in BBQ... the best rib Mike said he ever had broke all the rules. I think it in his Peace love book under the BBQ Police.

It was in a northern inner city, it was smoked, foiled then pulled and chilled until ready to order,,,, then the guy would resprinkle with rub, then deep fry from cold about 8 minutes. I tried doing this and with STELLAR results. The remaining fat turned into crackilns!!!!! I dipped in a sauce just before service but even without sauce it was stellar.

PLUS!!!!! A profitable, easy, and low labor biz could be derived from the process.

I saw some fried ribs at the Rodeo but they simply did not know what they were doing... they sliced and fried individually, missing the depth of flavor from a deep fried SMOKED rib

Only after a through boiling in liquid smoke! Actually We had them fried in Puerto Rico and they are really good! Not our Bar B Que style but good!

Man , you can deep fry anything . In Louisiana we even deep fry ice cream..

Love deep fried pork. We do 2x4 in. chunks of loin, just dusted with a breading.
doesn't take too long.

Yes. But why? Pork is pork as far as taste goes. Id suggest deep frying chunks of butt/shoulder. Same taste, cheaper, more meat, and you can make less messs. Carnitas anyone?

Back