• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ceramic smoker appreciation thread???

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know this forum is dominated by metal smokers of all variety & there are lengthy threads devoted to the building/appreciation of these great cookers. I did a search & couldn’t find a ceramic smoker appreciation thread & thought maybe there should be one, hopefully you’ll add pictures of & comments about your ceramic cooker here.

My first was a large BGE in 2004, followed in 2008 by a mini which has since been co-opted by my daughter, given a custom handle & renamed ‘ballerina egg’.

By the way if this thread already exists please delete :redface:. If not, lets see'm, here's mine:

The original setup, made a table out of cedar planks:

IMG_3577.jpg

after the mini joined up:

IMG_1836.jpg

action shot:

IMG_2100.jpg

tired of getting rained on so I put up a roof (the hut):

IMG_3510.jpg

added a brick table:

IMG_4577.jpg

the addition of the new ballerina handle on the mini for my cookin buddy (the daughter):

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

all ready for cookin:

IMG_4376.jpg

NICE! Dig the set up!

Sadly, I cannot join in due to the fact that I'm a CHEAP ARSE and have not yet procured a BGE or other ceramic cooker. BUT....I sure would LOVE to have one!!

Isn't one forum enough for you??? :)

Been busy with non-BBQ life. I hope things are good on your end.

Haven't had one in years, but was introduced to them in the late 60's! Actually....when I was in the USAF, I was on flight status and most crewmembers brought them back directly from Japan. Absolutely great cookers.... from incredible burgers on up and easy to control. I'll have again now that I'm getting back into Q'ing and learning more about smoking!

Taken care of, they'll last a long time....even in the elements!

Thanks to the help of one of our Brethrens, I picked up my first BGE last weekend.

My first cook was some chicken:

134168210.jpg

134168215.jpg

I'm not addicted to ceramic cookers,really....I can quit anytime I want too :roll:

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

I remember when I got my first two BGE's(medium and small) back in 04'.I built a little roof over them on my tiny old deck that I quickly outgrew.

002.jpg

019.jpg

005-6.jpg

NewEgg002.jpg

There is tons of information in Qtalk that works for all cookers. Love the site. Like this thread too. My KomodoKamado from Dennis Linkletter in Indonesia. Had for almost three weeks. Love it. Done BBQ, pizza, cake and brownies, and going to try bread soon. Pleasantly surprised, it will get better.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303865284.674767.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303865284.674767.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 212
There's discussion group cleverly hidden under "social groups" ... search for "all things ceramic".... I'm an Egghead, too.

Those things are sweet. I'd love to have one but my bank account is afraid of them. Maybe it would be a good item to put on the christmas wish list :)

is it possible to sticky all the appreciation threads? Such as the webber kettle, the wsm, the cermaic cooker, the uds and what not? haha

Anyway. i would love to own a ceramic cooker. I just have no money to do so. haha

My question is this. Is there a taste difference between food smoked on a wsm/uds and a BGE? Just smoked not grilled. haha.

thanks

My question is this. Is there a taste difference between food smoked on a wsm/uds and a BGE? Just smoked not grilled. haha.

thanks

LT, I don’t think there is any difference in flavor from cooking on ceramic vs. metal, last night I did 4 bone-in chicken breasts on my kettle. Piled the coals up on one side & did a nice sear skin side down for a little while, then moved them to the opposite side, added a fist full of wild apple chips & finished them off indirect, took about 30 minutes to hit 160 degrees internal. Threw some corn on the cob over the fire near the end. The finished product was spectacular, every bit as good as any chicken I’ve ever done on the egg. I think there are people that will maintain that the food tastes better but that has not been my experience – I love the egg for its versatility & ease of use, but not to the exclusion of any other method of cooking

I love my Kamado Joe, having a blast cooking on it. Just got my Stoker in the mail yesterday and will be doing some dry runs this week with the stoker log on the computer.

kamado.jpg

I've got a couple of eggs to cook on but like zippylip I'm not fanatical about them.

591151822_wL9fY-M.jpg

For low and slow it's my preferred cooker but the kettle gets just as much use.

I love my Kamado Joe, having a blast cooking on it. Just got my Stoker in the mail yesterday and will be doing some dry runs this week with the stoker log on the computer.

kamado.jpg

GreenDrake, that's another cooker I've never seen in person, does the Kamado Joe come in different colors or all red? I've always liked the Grill Dome for that reason, I'd like to pick up a black one at some point.

Very nice, thanks for posting it

I like my primo oval xl..it is a fantastic all around cooker (not THE best for smoking or for pizza), but as an all around grilling, smoking, bbq'ing, cold smoking, etc machine, ceramics are tough to beat

I like my primo oval xl..it is a fantastic all around cooker (not THE best for smoking or for pizza), but as an all around grilling, smoking, bbq'ing, cold smoking, etc machine, ceramics are tough to beat

gtsum, curious as to why you think it doesn't do well on pizza? Also, can you fit a 1/2 sheet pan on to do Sicilian pizzas? I do a lot of these but I'm limited to the oven, can't fit the pan in the egg :mad:

IMG_4053.jpg

Back