Smoking beef leg bones

superlazy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I used to get great whole smoked beef bones for Zeus and Athena(lab/wolf? & a pure white Sheppard) yrs back from a local feed store. Well feed store went under but a local butcher started smoking sections of leg bones. Not as good but dogs loved them. Sadly both dogs have past on from old age:cry:

I bring this up because we are once again looking about buying a whole cow
and I want to keep some bones for stock and to smoke for Lilly and Loki( Bull Mastiff & I have no clue what Loki is)

So If $$ goes well and I do this, how do I smoke them properly?

If none of this makes sense I blame it on the the cold I can't shake

I used to get great whole smoked beef bones for Zeus and Athena(lab/wolf? & a pure white Sheppard) yrs back from a local feed store. Well feed store went under but a local butcher started smoking sections of leg bones. Not as good but dogs loved them. Sadly both dogs have past on from old age:cry:

I bring this up because we are once again looking about buying a whole cow
and I want to keep some bones for stock and to smoke for Lilly and Loki( Bull Mastiff & I have no clue what Loki is)

So If $$ goes well and I do this, how do I smoke them properly?

If none of this makes sense I blame it on the the cold I can't shake

I have never smoked bones for the dogs.

I do know that cooked bones will splinter and can cause serious problems.

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/showthread.php?t=25746

My dog couldn't care less if the bones are smoked or not, he'll go crazy til it's in his mouth anyway. I think the pet store bones are done with liquid smoke. I don't know if the bone will take as much smoke as the marrow. I'd cut the bones into 6" pieces and smoke them at 300 for a couple hours using your favorite wood.
Curly

Back