• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grease at bottom of UDS - ideas?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to the pizza pan under the charcoal basket yet. Anyone have any issues with all the ash and grease at the bottom of the UDS?

Rust or mold issues?

Any creative ideas to get it out?
John

i use pizza pan for a difuser after a cook i scrape all the geese off the difuser easy cleanup just dont wait a day or 2 to do it

Ash soaks it up good. Then I either scoop it out or use shop vac.

I blast mine out with the hose, turn it up side down let it drain for a few min and fire it back up with all the intakes open to dry it out about 2 time a year.

Ash with the grease then scoop out. If the buildup is substantial I'll use the weed burner to burn it up some. You want all the vents open and your still going to put the weed burner out by burning all the O2 up. Make sure to stop gas immediately. Then relight and repeat until you are good with the burn off.

Get around to it!:p ...meaning attach a flat pan to your basket so you can lift out the ashes/grease. Much easier to deal with than washing it out.

Are you sure it's grease? Mine will sometimes get water sitting after a long cook, but it's not grease.

Mix the grease with ash and remove both using a pooper scooper from the pet store.

Pretty much what I do after each comp. I've got one of those small aluminum trash cans I transfer it to which then goes back in the UDS for transport home.

I wanted to digress to some PBC comments but, I think that horse has been beat.

Thanks guys!

I think the clean pooper scooper idea is probably the best bet. I do like the idea of the pizza pan underneath but I cooked some ribs yesterday and the grease/fat is a lot down there. I have to get it out soon. I'll mix the ash with it and attempt to scoop it out.

John

Just let the grease burn... I did this not that long ago. Everything is cleaner is running better than ever.

Carefully turn drum upside down.
Beat on bottom of drum.
Lift and turn drum back over.

Tadaaaa! Clean as you're gonna get.

Plus, it's a lot quicker than scooping it all out.

Better to scrape it out than burn it out. Remember: "feces occurs"

Good point, but if this is done in a controlled manner... well it is just plain fun.

Hot fire in a barrel - This should be a song on some radio station your listen to while driving a truck and drinking busch light from a can. You know why I drink it from a can? Because i live in 'Merica and I have the freedom to do so...

yep

I have only cleaned out the bottom of my UDS one time in the past year. Everything comes out with the ash pan or is burnt up in the charcoal. I add new charcoal and clean off the ash pan before each cook. No grease to clean up in the bottom of my UDS. It stays clean.
Ash pan is a 20" harrow disk.

IMG_3481.jpg

It was cheap to make. I had the weber charcoal grate. Cost about $5 to make the basket out of pencil rod. It will last forever. It hold 25-30 pounds of charcoal. I can do a 25 hour cook. I have never ran it out to see how long it will go on a basket load.

Back