Cookoff vs. Contest - What's the Difference ?

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I was just re-reading my Sept. copy of the KCBS Bullsheet given out of the judging class I took.

Can anyone explain what a cookoff event consists of as compared to a typical contest ?

In the Upcoming Events section I see both listed. I was first thinking that a cookoff was not about cash prizes or placings but maybe about selling off your food . But then I see some ads calling their event a cookoff with cash prizes.

Now I'm not sure what the difference is or why they are under two different listings.

Check carefully as far as sanctioning

I have seen (over the past year and a half) a few "3rd Annual" type events that when I look closely and follow the meeting minutes, are not yet sanctioned.

This might only matter for State Champ events though, as qualifiers for bigger events

When we participated in the Grill Kings event here on Long Island the weekend was split into two separate events. The Long Island BBQ cook-off which took place during the day on Saturday and consisted of making pork chops, chicken wings and bbq sauce and the KCBS Sanctioned New York State Championship BBQ Contest which went from Saturday evening thru Sunday and consisted of the standard KCBS brisket, pork sholder, ribs and chicken. I don't know if this helps clarify things or makes them even more confusing. :wink:

BBQ Cookoff, BBQ Contest, BBQ Competition, BBQ Event

u say tomato, I say pork butt. All the same.

Example.

Highland NY Ribfest BBQ cookoff was a NY state championship and qualifer.

Thanks for the clarification guys...It still seems weird to me that the Bullsheet would have two different listings in the back of the paper.... It's somewhat confusing....

Funny thing is my wife who listens to me babble about 'que all the time tried to answer my question ...." A cook-off sounds like fun, a contest sounds like work".. Nice try, I guess...

Back