Butcher told me there is no such thing as prime brisket....

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So yesterday I went to a butcher shop I had been meaning to try for a while now. They had some great looking meat there. I got some ribeyes that were excellent. He also had a brisket he had separated the flat from on display. We got to talking about Kobe, wagyu, prime yadda yadda, and then he told me there is no such thing ad "prime"brisket.

This runs counter to everything I've heard, but I can't say as I have personally ever bought a prime brisket. Is he right or wrong?

My understanding is that the entire beef is graded by the grading of the ribeye. If it grades prime, the entire animal grades prime. I don't think they exclude the brisket.

My understanding is that the entire beef is graded by the grading of the ribeye. If it grades prime, the entire animal grades prime. I don't think they exclude the brisket.

that is correct, and in and of itself also suggests "technically" there is no prime tenderloin, strip, etc....because they aren't graded themselves.

What butcher shop? I wasn't aware that there's any butcher shops in Jacksonville.

Yep, it's been mentioned before, find another box opener.

What others have said, there is such a thing as a brisket off of a Prime graded carcass. You can dither the terms, incorrectly, but, there is such a thing as a Prime brisket.

USDA beef grading process.

As a producer I found this interesting and informative, listen carefully there is a lot of imbedded info. Bottom line, quality grades are made at the ribeye (I think at the 7th rib) and applied to the whole carcass half. Carcass halves with like grades are segregated for further processing and all cuts from that carcass half can carry the specified grade. So yes, a brisket from a prime graded carcass half can be labeled as a prime brisket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHwm1gIj-w

A carcass is graded between the 12-13 rib in the ribeye section. The whole animal is graded prime.

how come I never see any other "prime" cuts like Chuck roast, flank steak, top round etc? All I ever see in Prime is Filet's, and other steaks.

Back