A huge thanks to all the Brethren!

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our first BBQ contest is over and thanks to the advice and suggestions of many of you, we did not embarass ourselves. Your help (especially Phil's) with speedy butts and crispy chicken skin was what made the difference. In fact, we walked in all the categories, got our pictures in the paper and were published in a cookbook that the sponsor put together for the event! There were only 3 categories (ribs, chicken and pork) and their weren't really that many teams competing (18 entered and a couple didn't make it), but we managed to take 3rd in chicken and pork and 2nd in ribs! I didn't think we had a shot at winning anything, this being our first time out, but we had some darned good ribs to turn in IMHO, so that made me feel pretty good. Our chicken and pork weren't as good as what I've been doing at home but I guess they weren't too bad, huh? It was a great afternoon. Got to meet some nice folks and answer a lot of questions from passers by.
So anyway, thanks again to all those who contributed. Y'all helped make a good afternoon a great one for me and my cooking buddy Jim!

Congrats. That is excellent news. Sounds like your team did a nice job.

Congrats Kirk, there is no stopping now.You've been seduced.

Great Job Kirk. And answering questions and sharing knowledge with Joe Public helps us all in the que community. Next time Grand Champions!

Really excellent !! This one must have been lots of pressure and it can only be more enjoyable and successful in future. I applaud your results, but especially your commitment to step up and go for it!

Congrats all around!

Thanks every one. It was a lot of work and a little nerve wracking but a good time none the less. It has inspired me to do better next time and now that we have a little exerience, I think we can. We were really pressed for prep and practice time on this one but we really had nothing to lose by trying. This contest was free to enter and there was a pretty good purse up for grabs (4200 total) so we figured what the heck! It was nice to come home with a little something to help defray the costs too (actually, I think we did a little more than break even :wink: ). One team walked away with almost 1/2 the loot so guess who we're gunning for next time. :-D

Taking that walk sure does get addictive. But at the end of the day, if you are happy with your entries, then thats what matters!

Congrats on youe first time out!!

Yee Haaaaa

Way to go. I would say you had a very good cookoff.

Congrats on your great finish especially for your first contest
Mike

Congrats! Those are might fine results!

Thanks again guys. You know, even though we did well, I still left thinking we could have done better. I couldn't help but think that if the chicken and pork entries were to my satisfaction that we'd have taken another 2nd or even a 1st place. I don't mean to sound arrogant or to say that we should've whipped the other guys on our 1st outing, but I was in the middle of telling another competitor how bad I thought our chicken was when we got the call for 3rd. I couldn't believe it! In the end, I'm thankful for a great result and I can't wait to get it right next time and see if my tastes are in line with what the judges want.
Do I sound hooked yet?

Outstanding, Kirk! And that's one of the reasons you won't find a better BBQ site than this one.

Back