Rub
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 whole chicken, about 5 pounds
Vegetable oil
1 cup barbecue sauce

To make the rub: In a small bowl mix together the rub ingredients.

Face each chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Remove any excess fat hanging from the chicken. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the backbone and remove it. Open the chicken like a book. Using a heavy, sharp knife, make 1/2 inch deep incisions between the breasts and flatten the chicken as much as possible. For even cooking, make a 1/2 inch deep incision in each joint between the drumsticks and thighs. Remove and discard the wingtips.

Season the chicken all over with the seasonings. Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.

Place the chicken, skin side down, over Indirect High heat. Lightly coat the bottom of a baking sheet with oil. Place the baking sheet on top of the chicken and weight it down with the bricks or a cast-iron pan. Grill the chicken over Indirect High heat until golden brown on the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Using pot holders, carefully remove the hot bricks and the baking sheet. Using a wide spatula carefully release the chicken from the grate, being careful not to tear the skin. Move the chicken over Direct Medium heat and grill until the skin is golden brown all over, 5 to 10 minutes (watch for flare-ups). Transfer the chicken to a platter and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Serve warm with the barbecue sauce for dipping.

Makes 4 servings

I saw Bobby Flay on quit a few occasions use the "brick trick"

Yeah I have seen that before. Never done it though. I think Bobby Flay just wrapped his bricks in foil and placed directly on the bird.

Can you remind me what the weight of the bricks do?

Bill,

You said somthing that I would like to point out. Weber and other grill makers offer weekly e-mails to whom ever wants them. If you are not receiving them sign up, they have some great stuff to do on the grill, and what is one more piece of e-mail to delete if you do not want it.

Trout

Trout_man22 said:
Bill,

You said somthing that I would like to point out. Weber and other grill makers offer weekly e-mails to whom ever wants them. If you are not receiving them sign up, they have some great stuff to do on the grill, and what is one more piece of e-mail to delete if you do not want it.

Trout

Yep, and I'm still waiting to win that monthly smoker from The BBQ Store Smoke and Fire Inquirer.

I delete that email as soon as I scroll down to that a-hole "my way or the highway" Smokey.

SOB Mod.

Back on topic, Rob Flay said something about keeping the juices in while providing radiant heat to the top.

Don't know the science behind the brick theory though.

um... about Weber and other website email lists... maybe we should get a section in the links area describing the different email lists people are on Q-related of course (dont want all of bill's email lists, I dont even want to know what they all are)

josh

willkat98 said:
john said:
Can you remind me what the weight of the bricks do?

Holds the aluminum baking sheet down.

Obvious Mod

Yeah we would not want the baking sheet to blow away from the high winds inside the Kettle. :roll:

I was referring to just using the bricks and no baking sheet. Which you answered later.

willkat98 said:
Rob Flay said something about keeping the juices in while providing radiant heat to the top.

Thanks.

I'm trying a mod of this as I type. Butterflied the bird, brined it with brown sugar "Sugar Twin" (no carbs) and Kosher salt, with a splash of Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce fresh basil, sage, and garlic out of the garden. Various seasonings right out of the shaker and pepper grinder. Splash of worcester and Dale's sauce all rubbed in sliding the garlic basil and sage under the skin. Indirect heat on the Weber Performer with Col. Steve Austin mod. Aluminum baking pan on top with a paver over the pan. Before I put the kettle lid on I threw a couple of small pieces of ash. Let you know how it turns out later.

Delicious. I think I will do another one just like it tomorrow for company along with some BBacks.

Back