• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

- (fixt)
I was wondering about the vendors -
Sysco - Presidential are big here, plus small guys.
How now do you source your food?
Quality is a big deal with me.

I use a smaller regional distributor. They can get food from pretty much anyone if I request it and can do the volume. For instance, I only wanted farmland ribs, but they didn't work with them previously. But since I order 10+ cases a week they brought them on board. And like my brioche buns, coming out of a bakery in Detroit, etc.

...And yes, there is a small patio for some tables, plus over an acre of land to use...

Hmm...I have visions of a food tent on that acre and a portable trailer smoker to feed the masses outside...maybe even a play area for kids that could be an area for nightly live music on select weekends in the summer. :thumb:

Hmm...I have visions of a food tent on that acre and a portable trailer smoker to feed the masses outside...maybe even a play area for kids that could be an area for nightly live music on select weekends in the summer. :thumb:

You got it. Already planning a few big whole hog outdoor events. Get a big tent, bounce house for the kids, and got a frequent customer who happens to have a blues band and would love to play.

You got it. Already planning a few big whole hog outdoor events. Get a big tent, bounce house for the kids, and got a frequent customer who happens to have a blues band and would love to play.

Spooky! :-D

I would definitely set up an outdoor seating area with some character. People love their Q. especially in the summer. and love sitting outside. You would prolly significantly increase your sales just due to the additional seating. Do you have a liquor license?

Made a batch of your pickles and they went into 4 jars.
Ate a whole jar last nite - AWESOME!
Letting them sit for a couple of days was the ticket. Thanks!

Epic journey, fantastic read....read the full story here, now heading off to FB to check out more.

Big catering orders are starting to roll in. Got one for 50 tomorrow, another next week, and had somebody leave a message on the machine yesterday about doing 150-200.

So, who wants to buy me another smoker?

Need to add to staff as well, because three of my cooks are occasionally getting into OT territory. They are working their asses off and I appreciate it, but they are tired and I can tell. Plus, since they are working all they can, I'm screwed if anyone wants to take time off, calls in sick, etc.

We've also been discussing moving to table service so that we can keep take-out separate. The system right now isn't working when it's busy. There's a line out the door and some people have already called ahead for pick-up order, others are in line to eat in, and people waiting for their take-out are just sitting in booths or seats waiting for their food so those who do want to dine in can't find a seat even though there may be some available, etc. It's a clusterfark.

Good problems to have, no doubt, but it's certainly something that wasn't anticipated from the beginning.

Well, the water heater broke down Wednesday during lunch. By a stroke of luck my equipment repair guy happened to come in for lunch and he checked it out after he ate. He got the bad element replaced and it only cost me a pulled pork sandwich.

And yes, there is a small patio for some tables, plus over an acre of land to use. One of my cooks makes picnic tables and said if I supply the materials he will make some.

Also, one of the area BBQ restaurants suddenly closed today without warning or explanation. I just saw someone mention it and when I talked to my food guy today I asked him what happened since they are his account as well. apparently I was the first to break the news to him because he said he just took an order from them on Friday.

Looks like some possible staff(experienced) looking for a job and you are in need of some more staff. Looks like a good deal for you.

We've also been discussing moving to table service so that we can keep take-out separate. The system right now isn't working when it's busy. There's a line out the door and some people have already called ahead for pick-up order, others are in line to eat in, and people waiting for their take-out are just sitting in booths or seats waiting for their food so those who do want to dine in can't find a seat even though there may be some available, etc. It's a clusterfark.

Good problems to have, no doubt, but it's certainly something that wasn't anticipated from the beginning.
Table service will slow your table turns considerably. What about curb service for takout? Designate one or two parking spaces for take out and have a staff member dedicated to doing curb service. They call / fax their order in when they pull up the car hop goes out, gets the name (your POS system might even support a mobile device register) pull the order, get payment and send them on their way. Check out an Outback if there is one in the area - they do this process very well.

Why not a "pickup only" line? I still think you should only take phone orders for a certain amount of money or lbs.

Pecan Lodge has a separate "Express Line" where it takes 5-10 minutes vs over an hour. To qualify for the express line you have to order at least 5 lbs of meat.

How about a take out window? Keep the inside from getting overwhelmed.

Back