Some Walleye-n-Wild Onions

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Kind Brethren Phesant (Ken) sent a package of walleye filets and bear lard to me awhile back http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127637
Thanks again Ken!! :-D

2d7102bf-1.jpg

I brushed the fillets with olive oil and seasoned...
placed them on lettuce leaves to protect them on the grill.

b85f2e04-1.jpg

fired up the horizontal for grilling...

024-2-1.jpg

cfd1d2e1-1.jpg

while they cooked I gathered a few wild onions..
I like to use them while they are in season.

4c4b0e48-1.jpg

3943bf67-2.jpg

cooked the onions in butter then added fresh lemon juice and a bit of sherry...

4c2aca37-1.jpg

20885b7a-1.jpg

added the grilled filets to the wild onions..
let them soak up a bit of the sauce.

2be4891f-1.jpg

03c73b41-2.jpg

debated on a side dish but decided I didn't need no steenkin veggies.
served with a sip of wild plum wine instead. :becky:

0897f295-2.jpg

The walleye was soooo tasty! I can't thank you enough Ken!

Thanks for looking!

Looks good Jeanie. I love fish. I hope you had something good to wash it down with. :wink:

No veggies raise my eyebrows but not even a piece of bread for dunking in that butter sauce!?
Are you allright Girl?
I'm starting to get worried about you aPhter reading this...

I'm from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" where the walleye is our state fish. You did our state fish proud. I like your twist on it. As a long time cook of wild game and fish I especially appreciate how you treat all the meals you make from nature with such effort and respect.

Looks good Jeanie. I love fish. I hope you had something good to wash it down with. :wink:

lol Thanks Alan! I had a sip of home made sandhill plum wine. (a sip is all I can handle of that stuff. lol ) :becky:

Thank you Steph, Expat and Certified! It was a real treat for me. I love walleye but can't seem to catch them in my area very often.

No veggies raise my eyebrows but not even a piece of bread for dunking in that butter sauce!?
Are you allright Girl?

Phu... I was sooooo hungry, I ate the fish right out of the skillet! :p :becky:
Thanks for being concerned though. :hug:

I'm from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" where the walleye is our state fish. You did our state fish proud. I like your twist on it. As a long time cook of wild game and fish I especially appreciate how you treat all the meals you make from nature with such effort and respect.

Grain Belt thank you! That means a lot to me especially coming from you. I bet I would love living in an area like yours... wish I lived closer to some good walleye fishing. I do enjoy hunting and fishing and anything I bring home gets treated with respect. I'm thankful for what nature provides for me.
I love the flavor of most wild caught foods, nothing more than a hot fire to cook them is all I need to make me happy. :-D Thanks again...

Crash Thank you! The lettuce works great for protecting the bottom. I just close the lid on the cooker and wait. :-D

Thanks again friends!

Are you allright Girl?

Hey Phu, I just realized something... the onions were my veggie! I'm covered. :becky::thumb:

I have never seen fish cooked in lettuce before - Thanks for posting! Looked great :clap:

I would have never thought of cooking the fish in lettuce leaves!

Jeanie, you is a Jeanious!

Looks great as always, sweetie!!

Who cooks fish on lettuce?...Cowgirl, that's who! Love this post Jeanie. That plum wine sounds great too!

That all looks great Jeanie. I love walleye fresh out of Lake Erie. Next time I get some I will have to send you some.

Back