View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
An interesting point was made above that some may not understand. We, KCBS, have entered into a contract with a company, individual or group, to develope a new program to do something. We are finally getting around to telling another company that they should stop as a new one has been engaged to do the same or similar development. The question is as follows:

Did they post a comprensive outline of the "NEW" software requirement???
Did they seek input from the membership for the "NEW" software???
Did they seek quotes from the membership to develop the "NEW" software???
Did they even think about the membership in the design of the "NEW" software???
Does anyone here know what they are doing for the "NEW" software design???

I know that quite a few of the member earn their living in software development, business development, critical thinking development, etc. Quite a few of them own their own business, manage large amounts of people and ideas and are downright qualified to make a living.

I know that several years ago, the membership, gave ALL rights and responsibilities to the BOD with the new bylaws. There was an attempt by some to give some of the oversight back to the membership but, this has not happened. I would venture to say that most members play ostrich and act like being a mushroom is good for the soul. off soapbox!!!
I was asked some questions, and answered the same. As a member, that is involved in the cooking side of competition BBQ that's where I was comfortable leaving it.

As someone that does that for a living, and your friend, I think we should have looked beyond KCBS membership as well as within. If the RFP was published elsewhere I'm not aware of it but that certainly doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

The code required is basic, and the time from initial award to delivery of final product should be short in a perfect world. Your other questions, are something I deal with daily. Initial concept is great, but everyone wants to have a finger in the finished product. I spent several hours of my day listening to people voice new ideas, or ask to have something changed back to the way it was four months ago. Too much input is frequently counterproductive and I can demonstrate that individuals often don't have a clue what they want on any given day...with multiple emails.

As a member, I wouldn't touch the job with a 10 foot insulated pole or a fleet of attorneys to cover my butt. No matter what product I delivered there would be a laptop it wouldn't run on, or other issues beyond my control that would land at my feet. We as a society are better off outsourcing to someone that is covered.

That's a change in tune from the last time I commented on this topic, when I was just thinking about the coding required. Looking at what's involved in terms of use and potential fallout....money well spent for everyone.

My .02

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote