MY take on the UDS- step by step build

What's your stance on "mods"?

• Most of them are unnecessary.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • If it works for you, do it.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • They're interesting to see, but I don't really use them myself.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Mod me up! The more the better!

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Each smoker is a unique reflection of its designer, and beautiful in its own right.

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters
Heat diffuser & Pron

OK, so I started thinking about making a heat diffuser for my latest build. I thought it would help even out the temps between the top and bottom cooking racks.

I found a 1/8" piece of plate steel in my uncle's garage, cut out my design, added a handle for easy placing, and brought it home. This is what I ended up with:

Tu-Pork85.jpg

This pic was taken after my latest cook. Did the heat diffuser work? Better than I had hoped. Not only are the 2 racks closer to even in temps, but the bottom thermometer (which is actually closer to the coals) is actually 10* - 15* COOLER than the upper rack. Considering the bottom rack WAS registering about 80* - 90* hotter, I'd say that is a huge improvement. I now have 2 totally usable cooking racks. Can't wait for a chance to load them both up!

As for my latest cook...

BEFORE:
5-18-2010PorkLoinWholeChicken001.jpg

5-18-2010PorkLoinWholeChicken002.jpg

AND AFTER:

5-18-2010PorkLoinWholeChicken003.jpg

5-18-2010PorkLoinWholeChicken007.jpg

Everything came out great. The meat was all very juicy and delicious. You can kinda see the smoke ring on the pork loin (more visable around the bottom).

I used 2 completely new rubs and smoked with Apple wood. It was even done alot sooner than I thought it would be.

So, basically; yea, really satisfied with the new rig. Everything works great. Heat diffuser definitely makes a difference. I'm producing much better results with this one than I could have with the first build.

That's probably about it for this thread. If anyone has any questions or comments about the design or if you've used my design; send me a message. I'd like to see how everything worked out for ya.

Cheers!

One last thing- I drilled a hole in the bottom of the drum, close to the edge, and added one of these over it...

PipeFlange_Mount_Option_med.jpg

And I screwed this into it...

Bronze-Gate-Valve-BDV1900-.jpg

Now I have an easy way to drain drippings and water out of the drum without tipping it upside-down and throwing my back out. I sealed the flange to the drum with silicone caulk and positioned it just right so that the handle sticks out from the edge.

Tried it out the other day it it works good, but I have to make the hole I drilled a little bigger. It kinda took a while for the water to drain out after I scrubbed it.

As an added bonus, it could also be used as another air inlet. I probably won't tho. Goin very well with my single intake & control.

Last edited:
Back