• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Pork Carnitas

I love smoked butts for making carnitas, makes them even better than normal carnitas.

I have a question since I've never Smoked Pork Carnitas, can I use a Boston butt since I already have a couple in the freezer?
thanks,
Craig

I have a question since I've never Smoked Pork Carnitas, can I use a Boston butt since I already have a couple in the freezer?
thanks,
Craig

Absolutely, thats what I used. I was really pleased with the way these turned out, just make sure you braise them in some stock and spices to finish cooking, it adds a great layer of flavor.

Do you have any measurements on the ingredients?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My plans for my butt tomorrow just took a HUGE turn and are headed South of the border. Thanks for the great idea!

P1300174.jpg

drool

thanks Jonesy

with a bit of help I made me my own. Damn it was delicious saved most of it for some tamales in a few weeks. I'm sure they'll be a hit with the family

Attachments

• IMG_20121209_110341.jpg
    IMG_20121209_110341.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20121209_211924.jpg
    IMG_20121209_211924.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20121212_204125.jpg
    IMG_20121212_204125.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 133
Looking good guys. Man this is making me crave pork...so it's a good thing that I brought some leftover butt with me for lunch today!

Here is how a few Mexican restaurants in Houston do carnitas:

They slow roast pork but then let it cool, cube up, then deep fry the chunks. It is awesome. I am sure deep frying in lard would even be better.

a really nice twist on that would be to smoke a pork but to 160 degrees, cube and fry. Should be tasty.

Good Post. looking for a tailgate item and just think I found it.

I think carnitas are best when crisped up at the end on a hot griddle or cast iron pan after pulling. Not too much to dry them out, just a quick crisp and flip.

Sometimes when camping I use county ribs to save time.

Back